There are several legislations in place to prevent gender discrimination such as the Equality Bill, the Equal Pay Act and Sex Discrimination Act. These acts are included within the Equality Act 2010 - The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)
Below are links to resources and programs that promote positive working environments with regards to gender.
- Bain & Company True North £10,000 scholarship for women - for females in penultimate year.
- JP Morgan ‘Winning Women’ - early insight undergraduate programme.
- PwC - Women in Business Programme - aimed primarily at women seeking an experience in professional services to develop confidence and skills and get an insight into the opportunities available at PwC.
- WISE – Women into science, engineering & Construction.
There are a growing number of schemes targeted specifically at women to try and tackle issues around the gender pay gap and the underrepresentation of women in a number of sectors (an interesting article around this topic can be found here).
There are a number of areas where men are underrepresented in the workplace but that can provide great opportunities for exciting careers. There are very few schemes specifically for men at present however below you will find a list of sectors where men are underrepresented along with training opportunities, support and articles related to these areas to help you explore them further. You may also find the following article of interest if you would like to explore this area further https://theconversation.com/unemployment-pushes-more-men-to-take-on-female-dominated-jobs-128982 .
- No specific schemes for men but they receive very few applications for men so are keen to try to attract more onto their schemes https://careers.loreal.com/en_US/content/Students
- Again, no specific schemes but an area where applications from men are fewer https://www.charity-works.co.uk/
- Human Resources
- One of the few schemes aimed at targeting black men from low socio economic backgrounds into Law - https://www.freshfields.com/en-gb/about-us/responsible-business/freshfields_stephen_lawrence_scholarship/
- Prison Officers
- https://unlockedgrads.org.uk/ - again no specific scheme for men but a focus on trying to secure more men into the industry
- Social Work
- No specific schemes for men however an area where men are underrepresented so work is being done to try to encourage more men into Social work https://thefrontline.org.uk/our-programmes/students-and-grads/
- Mental Health social work https://thinkahead.org/opportunities/additional-opportunities-for-students-and-graduates/
- Teach First is a Graduate scheme to help recruit and train graduates into low performing schools. Whilst they do not have a specific scheme for men they are encouraging male applications as they are currently underrepresented.
- Navigator - https://springboardconsultancy.com/navigator-work-and-personal-development-for-men/. This is a training course to help men fulfil their potential. You may find some employers offer this as a part of your ongoing CPD.