Skip to main content

Housing and home

Paying your accommodation fees

If you are struggling to pay your halls fees, contact or find out what help is available from the Success for All Fund.

Housing advice

Being at Uni may involve moving into new accommodation, which can be expensive, and bring problems you’ve not had to face before. Whether you’re living in halls or renting in the private sector, alone or with friends, the Students’ Union Advice Team can help. See the SU website for factsheets and checklists and how to book a free advice appointment.

Household bills

If you're living off campus, you may be able to save some money on household bills by cutting down on what you use or switching suppliers. (Check with your landlord before switching any suppliers to the house.)

If you're in a house-share or flat-share, it's best to agree with all your housemates from the start on your energy use - how much you will use the heating, lighting, electricity etc - and how you'll work out the bills. Get together early on and agree a way that works for everyone in the household, to avoid issues later.   

How to save money on household bills

How to get help if you're struggling with your energy bills

Apply for your Council Tax discount

Whether or not you have to pay Council Tax depends on who else lives in your household. Full time students are exempt from Council Tax but you have to apply to your Council. Check with your landlord or agent whether this has already been arranged or apply to the council where you live.

Get a refund on your TV licence

When you finish Uni for the year, you could be due a refund on the months you’ve still got left on your TV licence – up to £48.50. See whether you’re eligible.