On this page:
Also see our New Arrivals Guide.
Getting ready to move to University can be an exciting time, but it can also be overwhelming thinking about what you need to bring with you.
We’ve put together a handy Moving-in checklist to help you plan what to pack, and more importantly what you don’t need to bring with you. Plus, some top tips on what to do once you first arrive at your accommodation.
Have the essentials delivered direct to your accommodation for your arrival with UniKitOut. Get 10% off with code EXETER10.
September arrivals - Welcome Weekend will be Saturday 16th to Sunday 17th September 2023.
You may be able to arrive on Friday 15th September if you’re moving into one of the following residences:
- Birks Grange Village Blocks F-Q (self-catered accommodation)
- East Park
- Rowe House
- St. German’s
Students joining the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (BMBS) programme must arrive at their accommodation on Sunday 10 September 2023 due to the extended length of their course in 2023/24.
We operate a timed arrival system at our residences, because of the high number of students arriving in Exeter during the same period and because of the very limited parking.
Although your contract start date is 17 September, subject to availability you can book an arrival slot for 16 September (or 15 September for the residences listed above), subject to availability and at no additional nightly charge.
If you’re arriving after Welcome Weekend, you still need to book an arrival slot via our system.
Process for booking your arrival slot
- First – accept your accommodation offer. You’ll then receive your Contract Formation email.
- You’ll then receive another email in August asking you to complete an online Student Welcome Induction and to book your arrival slot. Please see the My Applications and Bookings page on your accommodation account to find the link to your Welcome Induction. You cannot book your arrival without completing the Induction first.
- Once you have completed your Welcome Induction you will be asked to book a 30-minute arrival slot at your accommodation between 9:00am and 6:00pm. If you need to arrive later, a slot between 6:00pm and 10:00pm may be available.
- If you’re planning to arrive in a vehicle, you’ll need to print a permit for your vehicle during the booking process. This permit is only valid for the duration of your arrival slot and cannot be used any other time.
- When you arrive, staff will register your arrival and provide instructions on how to find to your room. Keys must be collected by you as the the resident and not anyone who is with you.
- If you arrive in a vehicle, a space will only be available at the residence at your booked arrival time. If you arrive early, please wait in a longer-term parking area. To give each student enough time to unload and to keep congestion to a minimum, you must unload your belongings, then remove your vehicle from the residence parking area within your 30 minute slot.
- You cannot park at the residence again over Arrivals Weekend as other students will need the spaces for their own dedicated arrival time.
- Car parking attendants will be on hand at the residences to advise and assist you. They will also ensure that vehicles move on after unloading.
- Please do not bring pets with you (unless you require an assistance animal).
- If you’re an international student, you may find the University information about travelling to the University helpful.
Most students will arrive over the Welcome Weekend, however some students choose not to arrive until teaching begins so you may find that not all rooms are occupied when you move into your accommodation.
Your accommodation will only be available from Welcome Weekend. This includes the Saturday and (in the case of some residences) the Friday before the start date of your contract. You can arrive on the Saturday (or Friday if applicable) at no additional charge.
If you are unable to travel to Exeter over the Welcome Weekend then please make arrangements to arrive during the following week or weekend.
Storage space is not available for belongings that are sent in advance. If you aren’t bringing all your belongings with you when you arrive, your other belongings should arrive after you have moved in.