University car scheme
The University's car scheme offers eligible staff the opportunity to acquire a new energy-efficient car through salary exchange at much lower rates than those generally available to members of the public.
The scheme has two aims:
- employees can drive a new car without having to fund the costs of a capital purchase; and
- recognising that for many employees there is no practical alternative to commuting by car, it contributes to the University's sustainability travel plan by encouraging staff to drive energy efficient vehicles.
More benefits of the scheme include:
- The leasing charge includes vehicle excise duty (road fund licence) and all servicing and maintenance costs.
- To support the University's sustainability agenda, only vehicles with low CO2 emissions can be obtained through the scheme. You will be able to choose from a range of diesel or petrol vehicles up to 120 grams of CO2 per kilometre.
- Drivers of energy efficient cars also benefit from reduced parking charges on the Exeter campuses.
Under the scheme, the University will lease the car chosen by you from Tusker, a leading vehicle fleet management business:
- Leases can be for 24, 30 or 36 months
- You will commit to meet the University's costs for the lease and insurance by agreeing to a salary exchange reduction in your salary, so you will save income tax and national insurance contributions on the salary you have exchanged
- The scheme adopts the same principles as salary exchange pensions, car parking, childcare vouchers and the cycle to work scheme
- You will also need to pay the additional benefit-in-kind tax charges
- Please see the full list of Tusker FAQs for further information.
The University reserves the right to amend or discontinue the provision of this benefit should the University determine that it is appropriate for it to do so taking into account such matters as it may determine relevant from time to time including changes to UK tax legislation.
View car choices
To find out more or order a vehicle log into the car scheme webpages using your University login details. Select the Tusker icon and click on the blue Get Deal button, then select the blue ‘view now’ button which will take you to the car scheme’s online showroom.
Changes following Autumn Statement 2016
As an employee of the University of Exeter, you may be aware of the car benefit scheme provided by Tusker as part of your employee benefits package. You may also be aware of the Government changes that will be made to car salary sacrifice schemes from April 2017. As an employee of the University of Exeter who may be interested in the car benefit scheme, or a current driver of a Tusker vehicle, the key results of the Autumn Statement are outlined below.
Car schemes continue
All salary sacrifice agreements signed on or before 5 April, even if the car is delivered after that date, will remain under the current rules. Simply, this means if you order a new car with a signed agreement dated before 5 April it will be honoured with the current taxation structure.
- Ultra-low Emission Cars
Some cars ordered on the car benefit scheme will continue to receive the full savings and benefit. These are cars with 75g/km of CO2 emission or less, also known as ULEVs (Ultra Low Emission Vehicles).
- Other cars see no or minimal increases after 5 April 2017
If you order a car 76g/km and above there will be some additional tax charges. Tusker and the University will be reviewing the scheme to ensure that these additional charges are clear to you and kept to a minimum.
- Current drivers
If you currently have a car on the scheme you will remain unaffected, with your agreement protected until 2021.
If you need help or advice, please give Tusker a call on 0333 400 7431 or email EETeam@ss4c.com.
Change of car scheme provider
We recently changed our car scheme provider from ALD to Tusker. Tusker were winners of the 2015 Business Excellence Award for Best Car Scheme UK, Best Car Scheme Provider at the WSB Awards 2015, Innovation Through Technology and Business of the Year at the 2015 Inspiring Hertfordshire Awards, Innovation in Customer Services at the 2015 Fleet World Honors Awards and the Automotive Award at the 2015 and 2014 Green Apple Awards. We have been able to negotiate better terms for our drivers than were previously enjoyed and believe that Tusker will be able to provide University employees with excellent service levels.
All current leases with ALD will be honoured under the same terms and conditions so drivers will not experience any difference until the end of their lease.
If you have any queries please contact Erika Morgan at email@example.com.
t. 0333 400 7431
t. 01604 747046
Also for insurance queries:
t. 01844 276498