Skip to main content



An eVisa is a digital immigration status which provides proof of your visa and allows organisations such as employers, landlords and universities, to check and verify your immigration status to assess your right to access those services. In most cases, an eVisa will be the only evidence you have of your permission to be in the UK. Gradually throughout 2024 this online status will replace any physical evidence of a visa such as a BRP card or stamp in your passport. 

Students who have applied for a visa from outside the UK

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national and you have used the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app, you will receive an eVisa.

If you are not an EU/EEA/Swiss national, you are unlikely to receive an eVisa. Instead most students will receive a 90 day entry vignette (visa) in your passport followed by a BRP card once you arrive in the UK. If your course is less than 6 months, you will only receive a vignette.


Students who have applied for visas from inside the UK

If your nationality is on the Visa National list and you have used the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app, you will receive both a BRP card and an eVisa.

If your nationality is not on the Visa National list and you have used the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app, you will only receive an eVisa.

If you did not use the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app, regardless of your nationality, you will only receive a BRP card and will not have an eVisa.


EU Settlement Scheme

If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss national and have been granted pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you will receive an eVisa.

You will receive a letter or email from UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) confirming the grant of your immigration permission. This will explain if your immigration status can be accessed online. If this is the case, you will need to log into your account on this page: View and Prove your immigration status and generate a share code.

The type of share code you generate will depend on who you need to prove your status to. To evidence your Right to Study, you should select the 'something else' option when prompted to ensure the correct type of share code is generated for the University to view.

Trouble generating a share code? Check you are using the right passport or BRP card - you need to use the document you used when making your most recent visa application. If it's still a problem, you will need to contact the contact centre on +44 (0)300 7906268, select option 3 then option2. If you would like help to make this call contact the Immigration Compliance team.

Before travelling: If you receive a new passport since applying for your visa, you must update your UK Visas & Immigration account with the new passport number before traveling.

Travel date: When travelling to the UK for the first time using your eVisa, you must enter the UK after the visa start date listed on your status. If you enter before this date, you will likely need to leave the UK and come back again.

Going through Immigration Control: when you pass through UK immigration control, you will need to present your passport (and BRP card if you have one) to the Border Force officer.

Depending on your nationality (see here), some students will have the choice of passing through the eGates instead of seeing an Immigration Officer. In this situation, it's vital that you make sure your passport details are up to date.

If there are any changes to your personal details during your studies, you must ensure you keep both the University and UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) informed. You should update UKVI by logging into your UK Visas & Immigration account and making the changes there. To update the University see Updating your personal details page.

When you receive your letter or email from UK Visas & Immigration confirming the grant of your immigration permission, you should check that the details are correct. You will be given instructions on how to report any changes to your online immigration status profile.

If there are errors with the length of immigration permission or the conditions, please contact the Immigration Compliance team for advice. For further details see our Visa errors page.