Ask An Alum
Ask An Alum is coming soon! Please check back for a launch date.
Ask An Alum is a simple and reliable way to connect you with our University of Exeter alumni, to gain answers to your careers questions, via a short email exchange.
- Over 4500 alumni signed up to the Ask An Alum, undertaking a variety of job roles and from a huge range of organisations, sectors, and countries.
- You don't need to have a set career in mind, just a desire to gather more information and gain insight into the careers you are considering.
- You can ask almost any type of careers related question.
- You can apply as many times as you like.
- There is no long term commitment, objectives, training or preparation needed to participate in Ask An Alum.
- Just fill out our quick and easy Ask An Alum Application Form (in term-time only) and you can be introduced to an alumnus within a matter of days. Our only requirement is that you respond to the introduction as soon as possible and within 3 days!
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the roles they are undertaking, we are unable to put Ask An Alumni applicants in contact with alumni who work in Intelligence connected to National Security.
- Current students (all levels of study, located both in the UK or on international placements)
- University of Exeter Alumni (up to three years after graduation, located anywhere in the world)
- Any graduates recruited through the Graduate Business Partnership (GBP) scheme.
Ask An Alumni will launch in Autumn 2021 - more information to come soon!
Applications will be open open term-time only.
Through a link available on Handshake, applicants will be able to view a live spreadsheet containing details of all the amuni signed up to correspond with students. We invite applicants to carefully consider the list and then fill in a quick application form detailing who they wish to speak to and why.
Further details will follow shortly.
- We will contact the alumnus that you have selected, asking if they are able to engage in email correspondance with you.
- If they are available to help, we will put you in touch via email for you to ask your careers questions.
- It is then your responsibility to take the lead in communication – we expect applicants to email the alumnus within three days of being put in touch - to ask your career questions, respond to replies and to thank them for their help.
- You are welcome to submit a further application once you have completed your correspondance with the alumnus you are matched with.
Here are some suggestions of what you could ask alumni:
- How was your transition from university to work (e.g. what did you experience and what should I expect)?
- What was your first job, how did you feel when you started and what did you experience?
- Job hunting techniques (e.g. best sources to look for relevant vacancies).
- What are the sector entry requirements (e.g. qualifications, professional training courses, IT skills)?
- What are the good/bad aspects of profession?
- Would you like to share any difficult experiences at work and how did you resolve them?
- What are your proudest career achievements - how did the opportunities arise and how did you accomplish the tasks?
- What are the top 3 skills needed for someone to succeed in the industry?
- Can you recommend any potential networking opportunities (e.g. meetings, trainings, sector events) where I may make my own contacts for further careers advice?
Ask An Alum is a way of gathering useful career and sector information directly from working professionals - an opportunity to ask alumni for information to help you make informed career decisions.
Ask An Alum is NOT an opportunity for you to ask alumni for any kind of "favour" for example a job, work experience, an internship, industry contacts, to attend a meeting or any kind of event, or for funding an opportunity. Information about finding internships and jobs can be found elsewhere on our website.
For further information please email AskAnAlum@exeter.ac.uk