Skip to main content

Sources of immediate help

The AccEPT clinic is not able to provide immediate support or a crisis-response service.

If you are concerned that you are developing a mental health problem you should seek the advice and support of your GP as a matter of priority. You can also contact Talkworks Devon's NHS Talking Therapies Service. A free, confidential, service, part of NHS Talking Therapies, for people (aged 18+) in Devon or Livewell, for those based in Plymouth.

If you are in distress and need immediate help and are unable to see a GP, those in the Plymouth area should contact the First Response Service at Livewell South West (0800 923 9323). Those in the rest of Devon, should please contact the First Response Service at Devon Partnership NHS Trust (0808 196 8708).  Both services are open 24/7

Devon Partnership NHS Trust offers out of hours mental health support to anyone aged 16+ at “The Moorings”.

Below are details on services and organisations that offer help and support directly to people with mental health problems:

  • For support in a crisis, Text Shout to 85258. Shout offer support for people in a personal crisis, or who are unable to cope and need support.
  • The Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team is a service that can be accessed via a GP or liaison. If someone is in crisis and are not able to contact a GP (e.g. evenings/weekends) they can speak to The CRHT directly and they will be able to help, but in the first instance, where possible, they should go through a medical professional first.
  • You can call the Rethink advice and information line (0300 5000 927: calls are charged at your local rate) Monday to Friday, 10am-2pm for practical advice on therapy and medication, benefits, debts and money issues, police, courts and prison, and your rights under the mental health act.
  • Community mental health services offer various treatments including medications and psychological therapies for people who are experiencing mental health problems. They can also help with other aspects of life such as claiming benefits and housing problems. To access these services you should contact your GP to talk about being referred to your local community team.
  • Here is a link to a letter (text and audio versions) written by a group of people who have experienced extreme crisis in their emotional life and mental health, intended for others who are suffering right now: