Starting at university is an exciting time and we realise the importance of finding the right place to live. Being in university residences enables you make friends straight away. You will meet a diverse range of people from different backgrounds and cultures, studying a variety of courses.
We have a variety of self-catered and catered accommodation available at both our Exeter and Penryn campuses suitable for a range of budgets.
It is not compulsory to live in university accommodation in your first year and if you would like to live in private accommodation, there are a number of options available.
With nearly 6,500 bed spaces, our accommodation in Exeter provides something for everyone. We provide a mixture of catered and self-catered accommodation options across three room types to suit budgets and preference. These are:
- Standard - sharing the kitchen and bathroom facilities with other students.
- En-suite - sharing the kitchen with other students but having your own en-suite shower room in your room
- Studio - offers independent living and are self-catered only with your own kitchenette and en-suite within your room.
Not all of our accommodation is located on campus; we have about 15% of our accommodation located off campus. All of our catered accommodation is located on the Streatham campus. If you are located off campus, this means:
- maximum walk of 30 minutes to Streatham campus
- close to the city centre or St Luke’s campus
- regular bus service runs between the campuses and the city centre, train and coach stations
- support from our Estate Patrol and Residence Life Teams
We are able to guarantee accommodation to:
- new students entering the first year of an undergraduate programme who have firmly accepted the offer of a place at the University of Exeter*
- Study Abroad or international exchange students studying at Exeter for the full academic year.
- New international fee-paying postgraduate students entering their first year of study at the University of Exeter
- We would advise you to make your application by 31 July which is our Accommodation Guarantee deadline.
*University accommodation is accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University. We are unable to guarantee you a residence on campus.
If you have Exeter as your FIRM choice, you will be able to apply for accommodation online from the middle of April for your year of entry, ready for arrival in September.
Students with a disability or medical requirement
We endeavour to make reasonable adjustments to support individuals who, due to disability, a long-term medical condition or sensory or physical impairment require adapted accommodation to help them participate and enjoy a fulfilling university experience. We have a limited number of adapted and accessible rooms so students should apply as early as possible for their accommodation and contact AccessAbility/Wellbeing Services to discuss arrangements so that any reasonable adjustments can be implemented before a student arrives.
Prices of accommodation
Rents include all utility bills, internet and contents insurance, plus 16 meals per week in catered halls. Please refer to the self-catered and catered price-lists for a breakdown of contract lengths and accommodation fees for each residence. Rents are reviewed annually and details are usually available in the Spring for your year of entry.
There around 6000 students studying here and, with around 1500 bed spaces in Glasney Student village, there is a great community feel and access to state-of-the-art facilities. One sure way to make university life easier to adapt to is by living in university accommodation. At our Penryn Campus in Cornwall we offer both catered and self-catered accommodation in our purpose-built student village on campus. We offer two different types of room:
- Single occupancy en-suite with either a double bed or study-bed* and sharing a kitchen (available for both self-catered and catered)
- Shared occupancy en-suite with two study-beds* and sharing a kitchen
*Studybeds act alternatively as a single bed and a large desk area; the innovative design means there is no need to clear the desk before rotating to the bed function.
In The Sidings accommodation, near campus, single occupancy en-suite rooms are available sharing a kitchen and living area.
Visit the Accommodation website for full details, including further images and information on how many students share a flat.
Our self-catered accommodation is safe, secure, well designed and purpose built; its atmosphere, attractiveness, intimacy and convenience will help your university career get off to the best possible start. Glasney Student Village is based on campus, while the Sidings are a 15-minute short walk away in Penryn, adjacent to the train station.
We offer a guarantee of accommodation in university owned, managed or approved accommodation to the following students;
- A UK or international undergraduate applicant who has firmly accepted an offer to study at University of Exeter – Penryn Campus as their first choice university and will be entering into Year 1
- A Study Abroad student studying at University of Exeter starting in September
- An International postgraduate applicant who has firmly accepted an offer to study at University of Exeter – Penryn Campus as their first choice university.
You must apply for accommodation by the published deadline to be guaranteed a bed space within our accommodation.
Utilities are included within all our halls, with some capped by an average allowance that needs to be 'topped up' if exceeded. Basic insurance cover for personal belongs is included in Glasney Village rent at the Sidings discounted cover is offered via Endsleigh Insurance.
Students with a disability or medical requirement
An insight into our accommodation
The videos shown below provide a detailed insight into the accommodation options available at both Exeter and Penryn including some of the services and facilities which are offered:
Accommodation for students living on the Penryn campus
Why our current students chose self-catered accommodation in Exeter.
What our students like about our catered accommodation in Exeter.
I've loved living in halls in my time at Exeter! Birks Grange is only a short distance from campus and means it's easy to get to all my lectures, seminars, social and sports events.
'Cardiac Hill' has certainly lived up to its nickname, and trekking up the hill every day is keeping me in shape. Living in halls has also provided me with the opportunity to meet lots of people and I couldn't have asked for nicer flatmates. I would strongly recommend halls for anyone coming to Exeter as I've had such a great experience!