All new staff are required to prove their right to work in the UK
Proof of right to work in the UK
The UK Government has introduced regulations (the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006) to ensure that employers only employ people who are legally permitted to work in the UK. These regulations require an employer to verify a new employee’s right to work in this country by checking and copying certain documents and to undertake annual checks on employees whose right to work in the UK is time-limited.
This requirement applies to all new members of staff, irrespective of their nationality. It is a criminal offence to employ someone who does not have the right to work in the UK.
Procedure for new staff
During a member of staff’s first week of employment with the University, he or she should bring their document(s) detailed in the section how to prove your right to work in the UK to:
Exeter-based staff (except medical school)
Catherine Bailey, Human Resources in Room 357A on the third floor of Northcote House (on the Streatham Campus) during the following days/times: Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 5pm.
Cornwall-based staff (except medical school)
Please take your documentation to the Peter Lanyon Reception during the following days/times: Monday to Fridays, 9am to 5pm
Medical School Exeter- based staff
Please contact the relevant person listed below and arrange a suitable time to take your documentation to them for copies to be taken.
- Jane Slaven, College House (Ground floor, room G.27), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. Appointments available Monday to Wednesday and Friday 9am to 5pm, extension 4979
- Jan Smith, Executive suite, 1st floor, UEMS Building, available Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, available 9am to 5pm, extension 4911
- Jude Segerlund, Executive suite, 1st Floor, UEMS Building, available Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm, extension 6151
- Joy Choules, Room 111, Smeall Building, available Mondays to Fridays 9am to 5pm, extension 2743
- Sue Whiffin, room 101 (1st floor), available Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10am to 2pm, extension 6056
- William Denford, Undergraduate Office, Medical School Building, 01392 406707
- Heidi Gambie, Undergraduate Office, Medical School Building, 01392 406714
Medical School Cornwall-based staff
Truro Hospital- Knowledge Spa
- Irene Baxter, room S10 (2nd floor), available Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 9am to 12.30pm, telephone (01872) 258131
- Petrina Bradbrook, room number F090, available Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm, telephone (01872) 258131
If a member of staff is unable to present these documents during his or her first week of employment, please contact the Human Resources Business Partner for your College/Service to discuss alternative arrangements.
Procedure for individuals paid on a claims basis
The new requirements to check the right to work in the UK also apply to individuals undertaking casual work, who are paid on a claims basis. These individuals should hand the appropriate documents to their manager with the PD81 starter form. The manager will take a copy of the documents and return the originals to the individual.
Exeter Medical School - Cornwall based claims workers
Please take your documents and your signed PD81 form to
Caroline Crate, Undergraduate Office (1st Floor -the office is adjacent to the Student Reception), available Monday to Friday 9.30am to 5.30pm, telephone (01872) 256406
or if unavailable please contact Anne Davidson, available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm, telephone (01872) 255 129