Visa Reimbursement Scheme

The University has introduced a Visa Reimbursement Scheme for employees on Tier 2 visas.

The purpose of the Visa Reimbursement Scheme is to support new and current employees on Tier 2 visas for the cost of their visa and the Immigration Health Surcharge.

The scheme applies to:

  • new employees with Tier 2 visas who joined the University after 1 August 2016;
  • current employees who are renewing their Tier 2 visas after 1 August 2016;
  • current Tier 2 visa holders who are applying for indefinite leave to remain after 1 August 2016.

The maximum amount that you can claim depends on the length of your visa and whether you are applying within the UK or outside the UK, as shown in the table below.

Applying from inside the UK for a 3 year visa up to £1200
Applying from inside the UK for a 5 year visa up to £2300
Applying from outside the UK for a 3 year visa up to £1100
Applying from outside the UK for a 5 year visa up to £2100
Applying for indefinite leave to remain £1800

If the actual cost you have incurred for your visa and Immigration Health Surcharge is less than the figure shown then the University will reimburse the actual cost of your visa and the Immigration Health Surcharge.

Please note that additional costs for English Language Tests or NARIC statements cannot be claimed under the Visa Reimbursement Scheme.

New Employees

For new employees, your visa reimbursement is part of your relocation allowance under the University’s Relocation Assistance Scheme and no tax will be deducted.

If your actual costs are greater than the maximum payment shown above, you will not be able to reclaim the excess from your relocation allowance.

If you are not entitled to the relocation assistance scheme you will be entitled to visa reimbursement as detailed above.

Current Employees

For current employees, visa reimbursement is taxable, which means that deductions will be made for income tax and national insurance.

If you started work at the University on a different visa, for example Tier 4, and have switched to Tier 2 following the commencement of your employment, you will be treated as a current employee.

Other Conditions

The University’s visa reimbursement scheme is not contractual and the University reserves the right to amend or withdraw the scheme.

The tax treatment of visa reimbursement may change to take account of revised tax guidance.

Payment will be made through the University payroll at the earliest opportunity in accordance with the University’s monthly payroll administration timetable.

If you resign from your employment with the University 3 years of the reimbursement, you will be required to repay the visa reimbursement to the University according to the following scale:

  • Resignation during first year: 75%
  • Resignation within second year: 50%
  • Resignation within third year: 25%

You will be sent a claim form for the Visa Reimbursement Scheme when you join the University (for new appointments) or when you are sent your Certificate of Sponsorship (for current appointments). If you are a Tier 2 visa holder who is applying for indefinite leave to remain, please contact