Credit: Sally Discombe
See also the Temporary Staff Bank terms and conditions

Frequently asked questions

When should I submit my claim?

Claims must be submitted by the payroll deadline.

Length of Assignments

The minimum length of an assignment is 7.5 hours (one full day)

For assignments lasting more than 6 months or consecutive assignments which together have lasted more than 6 months, the Temporary Staff Bank will ensure that there is a 4 week gap between the worker's next assignment. All assignments will not exceed 10 months, at which point the assignment will end and workers will not be permitted to return to the University to carry out work before a 4 week gap.

Holiday entitlements

Depending on the number of hours worked in a year; you are entitled to a maximum of 28 days' paid annual leave (these can include Bank Holidays). Leave days may be taken by prior arrangement with the College or Service in which you are working.

Payslips and P60

To view your payslips and P60 information please login to the Trent HR Self Service system using the same login details you would for eClaims. You will only be able to login to this system after your first pay day. If you are experiencing difficulties logging into Trent Self Service, then please contact SID to activate your login. 

What happens if I'm off sick?

If you are going to be late, have an emergency that prevents you from reporting to work, or you are unable to go to work through illness you must contact the supervisor of your current assignment and the TSB as soon as possible.  In the event of sickness this must be done on the 1st day of absence.  If you have more than 3 days consecutive absence though illness you must provide a self certificate (available from the TSB).  A sick note from your GP must be sent to the TSB after 7 consecutive day's absence (this includes weekends).

Sick pay

Sickness absence may be covered by Statutory Sick Pay. More details are available from the Temporary Staff Bank Office. However, you should note that you are not eligible for Occupational Sick Pay.


The government now requires employers to enroll their workers into a pension scheme. There are various eligibility requirements: if you meet these you will be automatically enrolled into our workplace pension scheme for individuals on a claims basis and you will be notified of this. You can choose to opt out of the scheme if you want to, but if you stay in you will have your own pension which you can get when you retire. You can also choose to opt-in at any time if you meet the eligibility criteria. Further information can be found at or contact the Pay and Benefits Office.

Other benefits

Employees of the University are entitled to use the extensive sports facilities and the library. There is a bank, mini-supermarket and bookshop on the site and limited car parking is available for those living outside the EX1, EX2 and EX4 postal code areas - please look at the web pages for University parking for more information. In order to encourage alternative transport, a shuttle service between the nearby rail station and the Streatham Campus is available.

The University is committed to a comprehensive policy of equal opportunities in employment in which individuals are selected and treated solely on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities and are given equal opportunities within the University.