Managers' and Colleges' information

What you need to do to engage a casual worker

Please read the following information before you engage any casual workers.

Please follow these steps to ensure your casual worker is registered and able to work. Please also be aware of any working restrictions that may affect your casual worker. If you experience difficulties at any stage please contact the Temporary Resourcing Team at

If you are unsure whether your worker needs to complete the registration process, please contact the Temporary Resourcing Team who will be able to advise whether the worker is already registered or not. They can also advise on payroll numbers, and if your worker is already registered, whether they need to present evidence of their right to work in the UK again.

Please review the Business Rules for engaging workers.

If your worker does need to register the Casual Claims Process Steps should be followed in chronological order. It is the responsibility of the line manager to ensure their worker has been sent the link to and works through these steps. Please be aware that steps 1-8 must be reviewed before the work begins. 

The first step is to complete the Casual Claims Registration Form which requests personal information and provides payroll with the worker’s bank details. Please note that registration forms can take 14 days to be processed.

The worker will be asked to include their line manager’s details on this form. The individual they put on the form will receive email correspondence as a result.

In order for a casual worker to submit a claim via the eClaims system they must first set up a Claimant Profile. In order for them to create a claimant profile they must know their job role information, and their hourly rate.

There will either be a suitable job role already set up in eClaims, or one will need to be created. To determine whether a suitable job role is in eClaims, please contact the Temporary Resourcing Team. If a suitable job role is not available in eClaims please complete the TR2 Claims Request Template form and send to The Temporary Resourcing Team will advise when this has been set up.

The line manager should then send their worker the Claimant Profile information.

The line manager should also determine what hourly rate their casual worker will be paid, and provide them with this information. Details on hourly rates can be found here. If you are unsure what hourly rate to pay your worker, please contact your HR Business Partner.

All casual workers require a University IT account to access the eClaims system. It is the responsibility of the line manager to ensure their worker has an account with which they can login to eClaims.

Accounts that can be used to access the eClaims system are eClaims, Associate, Student or Staff Retired IT accounts.

My worker does have one of these accounts:

You do not need to create a new IT account. Once the Casual Claims Registration Form is processed (can take up to 14 days from submission) you will be sent an email which includes the worker’s payroll number. Please ensure this number is passed to your worker as they may need to input this in to eClaims when they first login. This payroll number can be requested directly from the Temporary Resourcing Team at

My worker does not have one of these accounts:

When the Casual Claims Registration Form is processed you will receive an email with details on how to create an IT account. It is the responsibility of the line manager to ensure their worker has an IT account and can access the eClaims system.

If your Student is an Intern, they will require a new I.T. account for work purposes (E.g. SCP)



Once your worker has completed the registration form they must supply evidence of their right to work in the UKbefore they start working. Please ensure they present the original documents (not copies) to the Temporary Resourcing Team, room 356, 3rd floor, Northcote House. Please advise your casual worker to bring their right to work evidence between the opening hours 10-12am or 14:00-16:00pm Monday-Friday.

All casual workers, regardless of Nationality, must present this evidence. If they have worked for the University previously but have had a gap of 6 months or more since their last employment, they will need to present the evidence again.

Casual workers are not permitted to start work and will not be able to submit timesheets in eClaims until they have presented evidence of their right to work in the UK, and this has been verified by the Temporary Resourcing Team.

Casual workers on St Luke's campus, in Penryn and Truro, and remote workers, should supply their right to work as follows:

  • St Luke's Campus Info Point in South Cloisters
  • Truro – The line manager
  • Penryn – Info Point in the Peter Lanyon Building 
  • Remote Workers – email a photocopy of their right to work to a member of staff at the University who can verify their identity  

If you worker is a Visa holder:

If the Visa presented is in an expired Passport this cannot be accepted as evidence of right to work in the UK. The Visa must be located in the current Passport, or the worker must present a Biometric Residence Permit. Excluding those who have a non EEA family member of an EEA national Visa.


Important Information on Student working:

The University recommends that undergraduate students should not work more than 15 hours per week during term time as this may adversely affect their studies. They can work full time during University holidays.

The University recommends that postgraduate students should not work more than 6 hours per week as covered by the Code of Good Practice - Employment of Postgraduate Students and may not be able to work full time hours during normal University holidays, as their courses do not necessarily follow the usual University calendar.

Important Information regarding Tier 4 visa holders:

Workers on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa are allowed by government to work up to 20 hours per week during term-time, and full-time during University holidays. The holiday period in which students can work full-time is defined differently, depending on the level at which they are studying:

  • Undergraduate Students – the 20 hour work limit applies during the standard University term dates. Full time work is permitted during the vacation periods and from the end of their last term at the University until the time their visa expires.
  • Postgraduate Taught (Masters) Students – the 20 hour work limit applies during the standard University term dates and also during the summer vacation period, when they are writing their dissertation. Full-time work is then permitted from the time they submit their dissertation until the date their visa expires
  • Postgraduate Research Students – the 20 hour limit applies throughout their programme. Full-time work is only permitted after the final submission of their thesis (ie after any required revisions and corrections have been completed and approved, and the thesis has been finally submitted).

Although legally workers on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa can work up to 20 hours per week in term time, the University strongly advises that they work no more than 15 hours per week (undergraduate) and 6 hours per week (postgraduate - full time)/18.25 hours per week (postgraduate - part time), as extra work may adversely affect their studies.

 If they have a Student Visitor visa, however, you are not allowed to work.

If you have any concerns over what you can offer your casual worker please speak to the Temporary Resourcing Team ( before any work is offered.

Once the casual worker has logged into eClaims and created a Claimant Profile they should complete a timesheet and submit for approval on a weekly basis. Approvers should login to the eClaims system on a weekly basis to approve outstanding claims.

Please be aware that approvers will not receive a notification each time a claim is submitted, it is the responsibility of the approver to check eClaims weekly to approve outstanding claims. An email will however be sent to all approvers who have claims awaiting their approval 3 days before the monthly deadline.

If the casual worker has not provided evidence of their right to work to the Temporary Resourcing Team, they will be unable to submit timesheets.

You can add the approval deadlines to your outlook calender, instructions can be found here.

Some casual workers may be restricted to the number of hours they can work per week. All casual workers are entitled to rest breaks.

Students: Please see the section on Student working

All: Casual workers should not work more than 36.5 hours per week. If they are required to exceed this number of hours approval must be requested from an HR Business Partner. Under no circumstances should a casual worker regularly work more than 48 hours per week.

Young workers: Young workers are those above school leaving age and under 18. The following guidelines should be considered if you assign casual work to young workers:

  • A 30 minute rest break must be taken if they work more than 4.5 hours in 1 shift (if possible this should be 1 continuous break)
  • Daily rest break of 12 hours
  • Weekly rest break of 48 hours
  • Maximum working day of 8 hours (excluding breaks)
  • Maximum working week of 40 hours (excluding breaks) over 5 days

Over 18s: All casual workers over the age of 18 have the right to the following:

  • 1 uninterrupted 20 minute rest break in their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day
  • 11 hours rest between working days e.g. if they finish work at 20:00, they shouldn’t start work again until 07:00 the next day
  • Weekly rest: should be considered as either an interrupted 24 hours without any work each week, or an uninterrupted 48 hours without any work each fortnight


Business Rules

Workers should only be engaged for periods of work for less than three months in duration, as set out in Phase one of the 'Business Rules for Engaging Workers' from the 1st March 2018. All appointments Casual, Temporary and Permanent must follow these rules with the exception of the following who will continue to apply current arrangements pending further review of processes/systems (Phase 2):

  • Casual Teaching Staff/Drama Practitioners used to cover vacancies/gaps in curriculum delivery   
  • Visiting Lecturers                 
  • Post Graduate Research Supervisors  
  • External Examiners/Exam markers/ Exam invigilators
  • Demonstrators – ad hoc requirements              
  • Student Ambassadors/Marshalls
  • Community/Health Workers
  • Campus Services: Catering, Housekeeping, Events, Sports and Swim Coaches, Retail outlets
  • Transcribers

Please be aware that we may remove casual worker details from our payroll system if they do not work for 6 or more months, or if they no longer have the right to work in the UK.

Further Information

Please also read further information on engaging a casual worker, which includes information regarding employment law and rates of pay.