Casual workers' information

How to register and get paid

Please read and follow these instructions in full before you start working. If you experience difficulties at any stage please email the Temporary Resourcing Team at before continuing.

If you have completed this process before and are unsure whether you need to again, please contact the Temporary Resourcing Team before continuing.

Casual workers rates of pay Claims: rates of pay

All new casual workers, or those who have been removed from our payroll system, must complete the Casual Claims Registration Form. Please do not move forward in the process until this form has been submitted. Please note that registration forms can take up to 14 days to be processed following submission.

For instructions on how to complete this form please review these guidelines - How to complete the casual claims registration form

If you’re experiencing a problem whilst applying and receive the following error message ‘email address has already been registered’, this is because you have used this email address previously to complete an application for the University, therefore will need to use an alternative email address. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

If you are still experiencing difficulties, please contact the Temporary Resourcing Team at before continuing.

Please be aware that in order to login to this form you will be asked to create a username and password. This username and password cannot be used to login to any other University systems i.e. the eClaims system.

Overseas Workers

If you are carrying out University of Exeter work whilst based overseas please let the Temporary Resourcing Team know at the point of registration. Please be aware that all workers are subject to UK tax and national insurance deductions for short term work. However, you may also be liable to pay tax and social security in the country you are working and there may be penalties for non-compliance.

You are not permitted to start working until you have supplied evidence of your right to work in the UK to the Temporary Resourcing Team. You must supply this evidence when you first register as a casual worker, when you re-register, or if you have a break in work of 12 months or more. This applies to all casual workers, regardless of nationality or duration of work.

To do this you will need to select an appointment to have your right to work documents verified over Teams. In advance of your appointment, please send a photograph or photocopy of your documents to

You can find a list of acceptable right to work documents here.

Overseas Workers:

Overseas casual workers can only be considered in business critical circumstances. No overseas casual work should start until it has been reviewed by the HR Global Mobility Advisor. Please contact to discuss.

Information for Visa holders:

If your Visa is stamped in an expired Passport this cannot be accepted as evidence of right to work in the UK (unless you have a non EEA family member of an EEA national visa). The Visa must be stamped in your current Passport, or you may present a Biometric Residence Permit.

If you hold a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa you must also supply a letter from the Student Information Desk confirming your term dates in relation to your visa restrictions. As a student please also ensure you have read and understood the working restrictions that apply to you. See the step 5 for more information.

You can access the eClaims system (online timesheet system) with an eClaims or Associate IT account. If you have either of these accounts you do not need another account to be set up in order to access eClaims. Please do not use a student IT account to access eClaims.

If you do require an IT account to be set up, your line manager will arrange this for you and will also be sent your payroll number once your registration form has been processed.

If at any point you cannot recall your password for a University IT account, please contact the Student Information Desk on 0300 555 0444 and select the IT option, before choosing the Staff Business Critical IT option to transfer directly to IT helpdesk staff and they can re-set this over the phone. 


Casual workers should not work more than 36.5 hours per week. If you are required to work over this number of hours your line manager should request approval for the additional hours from their HR Business Partner. Under no circumstances should a casual worker regularly work more than 48 hours per week.

Rest Breaks

All casual workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during the working day if you work more than 6 hours a day.

Students: See the step 5 for further guidance on student restrictions.

Young workers: Young workers are those above school leaving age and under 18. The following guidelines should be considered if you are a young worker:

  • A 30 minute rest break must be taken if you work more than 4.5 hours in 1 shift (if possible this should be 1 continuous break)
  • Daily rest break of 12 hours
  • Weekly rest break of 48 hours
  • Maximum working day of 8 hours (excluding breaks)
  • Maximum working week of 40 hours (excluding breaks) over 5 days

Over 18s: All casual workers over the age of 18 have the right to the following:

  • 1 uninterrupted 20 minute rest break in your working day, if you work more than 6 hours a day
  • 11 hours rest between working days e.g. if you finish work at 20:00, you shouldn’t start work again until 07:00 the next day
  • Weekly rest: should be considered as either an interrupted 24 hours without any work each week, or an uninterrupted 48 hours without any work each fortnight

Important Information for Students:

The University recommends that undergraduate students should not work more than 15 hours per week during term time as this may adversely affect their studies. They can work full time during University holidays.

The University recommends that postgraduate students should not work more than 6 hours per week as covered by the Code of Good Practice - Employment of Postgraduate Students and may not be able to work full time hours during normal University holidays, as their courses do not necessarily follow the usual University calendar.

Important Information for Tier 4 visa holders:

Workers on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa are allowed by government to work up to 20 hours per week during term-time, and full-time during University holidays. The holiday period in which students can work full-time is defined differently, depending on the level at which they are studying:

  • Undergraduate Students – the 20 hour work limit applies during the standard University term dates. Full time work is permitted during the vacation periods and from the end of their last term at the University until the time their visa expires.
  • Postgraduate Taught (Masters) Students – the 20 hour work limit applies during the standard University term dates and also during the summer vacation period, when they are writing their dissertation. Full-time work is then permitted from the time they submit their dissertation until the date their visa expires.
  • Postgraduate Research Students – the 20 hour limit applies throughout their programme. Full-time work is only permitted after the final submission of their thesis (ie after any required revisions and corrections have been completed and approved, and the thesis has been finally submitted).

Although legally workers on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa can work up to 20 hours per week in term time, the University strongly advises that they work no more than 15 hours per week (undergraduate) and 6 hours per week (postgraduate – full time), as extra work may adversely affect their studies.

 If you have a Student Visitor visa you are not allowed to work.

The eClaims system is our online timesheet system. All casual workers must use this system to log their hours and claim for their pay.

In eClaims you will need to set up a Claimant Profile for each job that you do. The profile information is very specific and assigns your timesheets to your approvers, so please do not set up your profile until you have received this information from your line manager.

If your line manager is unsure of this information please ask them to contact the Temporary Resourcing Team at

Instructions on how to create a profile are provided within the eClaims guides:

We recommend that timesheets are completed and submitted weekly. Once you have saved your hours for the week, select View Summary. This will take you to a page which summarises your timesheet in full, please read through this to ensure you are happy to submit. When you are ready, select Submit Timesheet(s).

Instructions on how to submit timesheets are provided within the eClaims guides:

Please ensure you submit your timesheets by the monthly deadlines.

All casual workers are paid one month in arrears providing the monthly submission and approval deadlines are met. The Payroll office is unable to pay in advance of these dates.

If you experience difficulties creating or submitting timesheets please contact the Temporary Resourcing Team at

You can track the progress of your timesheet in eClaims under eClaims Home. Here you can view claims awaiting approval and all claims. If your claim’s approval status is grey then it is still awaiting approval. If it is green, it has been approved.

Your approvers will receive one email a month (3 days before the monthly approval deadline) highlighting that they have claims awaiting their approval. If you are concerned that your approvers will not meet the monthly approval deadline, please speak to them in advance of the deadline to ensure your claims are approved on time.

The Payroll office is unable to pay in advance of the monthly pay dates if the submission or approval deadlines are missed. You can review the Payroll deadlines online.

Contracted Employees

Please be aware that if you are employed by the University on a Permanent or Fixed Term Contract basis you should not use eClaims to claim for additional hours. You should instead complete a PD103 form.

eClaims Help and Guidance

For further help and guidance on the eClaims system, please click here

Payslips and P60

To view your payslips and P60 information please login to the Trent HR Self Service system using the same login details you would for eClaims. You will only be able to login to this system after your first pay day. If you are experiencing difficulties logging into Trent Self Service, then please contact SID HR to activate your login. 

Please visit Payslip changes from March 2019

National Insurance Number

Please see this information if you require a National Insurance number.