For further information please see the Code of good practice on the employment of postgraduate students

Postgraduate Teaching Assistants

Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (PTAs) roles are arrangements where postgraduate students are guaranteed a fixed amount of remuneration for teaching a set number of hours.

Contract and payment

Your College will issue a contract and an hour’s allocation template (HAT) to you for this work. You will be paid in monthly installments (in arrears) through the University claims payroll. Your College will ask you to complete the casual claims registration process to gain access to the eClaims system and bring in proof of your right to work in the UK in this role. Payment will be made using the standard university rate of £16.57 per hour. Please note that this figure includes payment in advance for pro-rata holiday entitlement of 41 days.

If you have undertaken additional work - whether teaching, demonstrating or administrative/clerical - you should also login to the eClaims system and submit an electronic timesheet. In order to submit a timesheet on the eClaims system there must be a suitable job role and approval path set up in the system. Please email for full details.

Please note that full-time postgraduate research students should not normally exceed 6 hours per week in total (exceptions to this may occur, with the support of a student’s lead supervisor when a student is employed, for example, to support field work or Grand Challenges) and in all cases must not exceed 180 hours per year in total averaged over the course of the academic year. For part-time students, employment may be offered up to the equivalent of a 0.5 fte standard contract (i.e. 111.5 days / 814 hours per year). For further information please ensure you have read the Code of Good Practice on the employment of Postgraduate Students.


Expenses will only be paid if they are approved in advance, reasonable and supported by receipts and allowable under the University of Exeter's Expenses policy. Please note that the University would not normally pay expenses for any worker travelling to the University for work. All expenses will be paid in line with HMRC guidance and claimed through Finance.

Right to Work

The UK Government has introduced regulations (the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006) to ensure that employers only engage workers who are legally permitted to work in the UK. These regulations require an employer to verify a new worker’s right to work in this country by checking and copying certain documents and to undertake annual checks on workers whose right to work in the UK is time-limited.

This requirement applies to all new workers, irrespective of their nationality. It is a criminal offense to engage someone who does not have the right to work in the UK.

You need to bring in the appropriate documents to your College, or HR, Room 356, Northcote House BEFORE you commence work where a copy of the documents will be taken and the originals returned to you. You will not be able to submit timesheets via the eClaims system until the documents have been received.

Ad hoc work

Occasionally there is a need to offer genuine ad-hoc work e.g. for sickness cover. If you are offered this you will need to make a claim and will be paid through the claims payroll. You should still receive details of what you are expected to do and any training needed. Please follow the steps outlined in the casual workers' information, new starters what you need to do.


All PTAs will have the training that they are expected to undertake listed in the HAT, please see more details of the Learning and Teaching in Higher Education Programme . There may also be additional training required by your College or discipline, again this will be listed on your HAT.

Useful links