Professor Janice Kay, CBE
Professor Janice Kay has been Provost at the University of Exeter since August 2014. She is deputy to the senior academic leader of the University, the Vice-Chancellor, and line manages the Pro-Vice Chancellors of the University’s three Faculties. She holds accountability for Wellbeing, Inclusion and Culture, and for its environment and climate emergency activities, alongside the Registrar. Janice is the University Executive Board lead for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and with the Director of HR the overarching programme of leadership and management development and workforce initiatives. She also works closely with external partners to support regional engagement across several areas including education and skills development, and health services.
Most recently, she has led a commission of staff and students to promote equality, diversity and inclusion on campus. Janice’s commitment to Higher Education and the experience of students can be seen in the national roles she has played such as Deputy Chair of the Teaching Excellence Framework and Chair of the Subject Level Pilot, inaugural member of the Advance HE Board and its Equality Committee and member of the UUK Taskforce on Harassment and Violence Against Women and Girls. Prominent in regional skills and education developments, she established the highly successful now national University Mathematics School Network, chairs the Exeter Education Alliance and is Vice-Chair of the South West Institute of Technology. As an extension of her interest in promoting excellence in healthcare, she is a Senior Independent Director of the Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and chairs their Remuneration Committee. She is regularly invited to speak and write on national and international education and equalities policies.
Janice was recognised in the 2017 Queen’s New Year Honours with a CBE for services to higher education
The Role and Responsibilities of the Provost
The Provost is the deputy for the Vice-Chancellor, and provides strategic leadership for the overall corporate plan and oversees the portfolio of University strategies, ensuring their delivery as part of a coherent institutional schedule of activity.
As the University's Provost, Janice has responsibility for:
- Management of the University’s three Faculties, through the three Pro Vice-Chancellors;
- Accountability for the University’s Wellbeing, Inclusion and Culture remit through leadership of the Wellbeing, Inclusion and Culture Committee (a sub committee of the University Executive Board), including leadership and management development.
- University Executive Board lead for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Oversight of the University’s Climate Emergency activity alongside the Registrar and Secretary.
- Regional education and skills strategy development as part of a shared portfolio alongside the Deputy Vice-Chancellors;
She is Chair of the following committees and groups:
- Wellbeing, Inclusion and Culture Committee
- EDI Dual Assurance
- Regional Strategy Committee
- Co-Chair (shared with Registrar and Secretary) of Environment and Climate Emergency Board.
The Provost is accountable to the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Lisa Roberts. The Provost meets regularly with Pro Vice-Chancellors, who collectively oversee the University’s three Faculties to ensure alignment with Education, Research, Regional and Global strategies and the University’s strategic planning and budgeting processes.
Register of Interests 2022/23
|Organisation in which interest exists||Nature of interest (directorship, shareholding, membership etc.)|
|Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust||Senior Independent Director|
|Advance HE||Board Member & Chair of RemCo|
|South West Institute of Technology||Deputy Chair|
|TEF Advisory Group||Member|