Skip to main content

Banking and National Insurance

How do I open a UK bank account?

You will need to open a UK bank account to allow the University to pay you.

Your salary can be paid into any UK bank and there are branches of most banks on the high street in Exeter city centre and Falmouth town centre. Santander also has a branch on the University's Streatham campus.

Banks in the UK are legally obliged to undertake identity and address verification, which may lead to a delay in individuals from outside the UK opening a UK bank account. Please check with your chosen bank the items of documentation they require before you make the appointment to open your account. They will normally require proof of a UK residential address such as a tenancy agreement and a letter from the University confirming your employment details. If you require a letter confirming your employment to open a Bank account, please email and this will be prepared for you.

Once you have opened your account please notify the payroll department as soon as possible.

What is a National Insurance (NI) number?

You will need to pay National Insurance contributions (NICs) whilst you work for the University of Exeter (subject to earnings). NICs are collected by HM Revenue & Customs through the Payroll system and go towards benefits, such as unemployment benefit, the National Health Service (NHS) and the state pension. You will need to obtain a National Insurance Number and let the payroll department know your number as soon as you have it.

How do I obtain a National Insurance (NI) number?

If you are a Tier 2 visa holder your National Insurance number will be printed on the back of your BRP.

If you do not already have a National Insurance number please contact the Department of Work and Pensions on 0800 141 2075.

Further information can be found on the Directgov website.