Sitting Referred/Deferred Examinations Overseas
Referred and deferred exams will be held at the University between 11th August 2023 - 21st August 2023 (inclusive).
All students are expected to return to their normal campus to sit their on-campus exam(s). If you are unable to return to the University to take your on-campus exam(s) you must ask for permission to sit the exam abroad.
How to apply
You must apply to sit your on-campus exams overseas, by completing this form. The form should be submitted by 8pm (BST) 30th June 2023.
Reasons that can be considered
The only reasons that can be considered for sitting abroad are:
- Medical reasons – if you are unable to travel for medical reasons. NB - this is where medical reasons prevent you travelling but not from sitting an exam. A Mitigation Application should be submitted if medical reasons mean your performance at an exam (in any location) will be affected.
- Academic Study – if you are undertaking further academic study during the exam period and the host institution has confirmed that you are not allowed to return to the University for these exams.
- Overseas work placements (credit bearing) – only if you have had a request for permission to return to the University for the exams refused by the placement provider.
- Travel restrictions
- Other exceptional personal circumstances
Please note – financial or employment reasons will not be accepted except in exceptional circumstances.
When you ask for permission to sit your exam abroad, your request form must be accompanied by supporting evidence in English*. This is important – any application that does not have the appropriate supporting evidence attached will be refused and students will not be chased for additional information.
- Medical: A letter from an independent medical professional to confirm that you are unable to travel for medical reasons.
- Academic: Official documentation such as a verifiable letter from your place of study that states what you are studying, the course dates, and confirms that you do not have permission to attend the exams in August.
- Overseas work placements (credit bearing): Official documentation such as a verifiable letter or email from your place of work confirming that you do not have permission to attend the exams in August.
- Travel restrictions: A link and screenshot to an official Government website detailing travel restrictions.
- Other: Other verifiable evidence that provides details of the unavoidable circumstances and shows that you are unable to return to the University for exams in August.
Where a document is not in English, the original must be accompanied by a fully certified translation provided by a professional translator/translation company. This translation must include:
- details of the translator/translation company’s credentials; and
- confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document; and
- the translator/translation company’s contact details.
It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company. Translation companies will charge you a fee.
What happens next
All decisions will be sent by College Hubs via email on week commencing 3rd July 2023.
If your College approves your request to sit exams abroad you will receive a further email from the Examinations Office in the week commencing Monday 17th July 2023 giving details of the final stage of the official online registration process.
PLEASE NOTE that if your request to sit abroad is approved, all costs incurred at your overseas host venue is directly chargeable to you, the student. This is in addition to the Referred fees and a Sit Overseas admin fee (£100) payable to the University of Exeter.
Accommodation at Exeter/Penryn Campus
Accommodation will be available in Exeter and Penryn for those students who are required to return to the UK to sit their exams. Full booking details for this accommodation will be advised in the official email which will be sent in the week commencing Monday 17th July 2023.
If you have any worries about your visa status or think you need to extend your visa, please contact the International Student Support team via SID.