Skip to main content

Student Academic Appeals

Academic Appeals

Academic Appeals

Academic Appeals


You have a right of appeal against academic decisions and recommendations made by the Assessment, Progression and Awarding Committee (APAC) and Faculty Boards (or Deans acting on their behalf) that affect your academic progress. To find out when APACs and/or Faculty Boards take place, please contact your Info Point.

Appeals can be made against the following decisions:

  • a formal assessment result
  • a degree classification
  • a decision consequential to an academic failure (e.g. termination of registration)
  • postgraduate research students may also appeal against a decision relating to their registration status, such as transfer to continuation status, change of mode of study, early submission of thesis etc.
  • the decision reached is one that no reasonable body, properly directing itself, could have arrived at (for Mitigation Appeals)
  • a decision consequential to unsatisfactory academic progress

It is a principle of the University that appeals cannot be made against the academic judgment of either an internal or external examiner of the University. You can, however, appeal if you believe that this judgment was not made fairly or according to the correct University process.

Full details of the University's Academic Appeals Procedure can be found here. This link also contains all relevant Academic Appeal forms i.e.

  • Formal Appeal form
  • Appeal Review form
  • Appeal against Unsatisfactory Progress form
  • Appeal against a temporary visa interruption form
  • Appeal against a withdrawal from Programme on Immigration Grounds form

Please ensure that you are using the correct form for your circumstances as the grounds on which you may appeal may not be correctly identified if you are not using the correct form. In particular, do not use the 'Appeal against withdrawal of procedure' form unless you have had an appeal cancelled as a result of circumstances such as those described in sections 1.8 and/or 1.9 of the procedure.

If you are submitting a Formal Appeal it must be submitted with 10 working days of you being notified of an academic decision. All supporting evidence should be attached to the form where possible, and you should indicate the remedy you are seeking.

Where to send your appeal

Formal Appeal forms and evidence should be sent to the relevant address below:

For all other taught students:

If you are unclear which Faculty you belong to (or are unsure if you are an INTO or PGR student) please login to your student portal and check your student record.

For answers to other Frequently Asked Questions please click Appeals FAQ.

If you have already received a Formal Appeal outcome and you remain dissatisfied you can ask the University to Review the formal appeal outcome. The completed Appeal Review form together with a copy of your formal appeal and any correspondence from the College in respect of their decision, should be submitted to the Student Cases Office ( within 10 working days of you being notified/sent the Formal Appeal outcome.

Advice from the Students' Guild/SU

Please remember that an appeal must be submitted within 10 working days of notification of the decision you wish to appeal, and you cannot appeal against academic judgement. We recommend that you draft your statement of appeal and the grounds for your appeal and send it to us by email and we can then advise on the clarity of your case.

For further information please visit:

Students based in Cornwall should visit:

Information and contact details for the Students' Guild Advice Unit:


The students' Guild Advice Unit offers a range of support whether you need someone to listen or are looking for support. Friendly, trained advisors can be contacted in person, by phone or by email to discuss any problems you might be experiencing in your University or personal life. The team can provide confidential support and signpost you to expert advice if needed.

You can find the Students' Guild advice Unit on Level +1 in the Forum, phone 01392 723520 and email

Information and contact details for the Falmouth and Exeter Student's Union Advice Service:

The SU has a team of fully trained and experienced advisers to help and support you. The Service covers the full range of issues including student funding, benefits advice, financial problems, housing queries, consumer advice, employment, institutional/academic related problems and more.

The Advice Service offers free independent, confidential, and impartial information, advice and support to all students of the University of Exeter Penryn and of Falmouth University Campus.

You can make an appointment with an adviser here or by phone on 01326 255861 or email on