Skip to main content

Help and advice

If you have been affected by harassment, bullying, intimidation or discrimination there are a range of support services provided by the University, Students' Guild/The Students' Union and external organisations who can help all students and staff. You may not know it, but you may have experienced a hate crime which is reportable to the police: details are below.

Support for Students

In an emergency

  • Police / Ambulance – 999
  • Campus Estate Patrol (Exeter) – 01392 723999
  • Campus Security (Penryn) – 01326 254444

If you need medical attention



If you need advice or to talk to somebody

If you need wellbeing support

Support for Staff

In an emergency

  • Police / Ambulance – 999
  • Campus Estate Patrol (Exeter) – 01392 723999
  • Campus Security (Penryn) – 01326 254444

If you need advice

Further Support 

  •  If you would like general support, or would like to speak to someone else confidentially within the one of the student/ staff networks, more information can be found here

If you need wellbeing support

  • Spectrum Life is the EAP provider for the University of Exeter. This free service is offered to University of Exeter staff members and postgraduate students, as well as family members living at their address. Counselling services offered consist of up to 6 sessions per person, 'per problem' of either telephone OR face-to-face counselling.
  • Occupational Health - Occupational Health can assist with mental health and disability support and offer a staff counselling service.

External support and advice

  • Bullying UK - a charity dedicated to supporting those who are experiencing bullying in the home, in education or in the workplace. They have a confidential helpline as well as a live online chat service.
  • National Bullying Helpline - dedicated to stamping out bullying and helping those who are, or have been bullied.
  • Devon Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Services - support and information about rape, childhood sexual abuse or sexual violence. They are a professional and confidential service which support you through coping with and recovering from what has happened. Devon Rape Crisis can also explain to you your options and rights in relation to the incident(s). Helpline: 01392 204174
  • The Mix - UK based support service for young people. You can find discussion boards and articles on a wide range of issues and talk to somebody online, on social media or on their free confidential helpline.
  • Samaritans - Samaritans provide confidential emotional support for anyone in need, no matter what you are experiencing. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems, or just be there to listen. The 116 123 number is free from landlines and mobiles and does not show up on phone bills. They also offer email and text support and you can visit the local Exeter branch.
  • Galop - Galop provides confidential and independent advice and support for LGBT+ people who have experienced sexual assault, abuse or violence.

Support and information about sexual abuse and assault

If you would like support around these issues, you may wish to contact one of the following organisations:

Hate Crime and Incidents

Hate crime is against the law. A hate crime is any crime perceived to have been motivated by hostility or prejudice.

We have been concerned to receive reports of racially motivated abuse suffered by our community connected to the Coronavirus pandemic. Inappropriate behaviour or harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. This is a hate crime and is against the law. If you experience, or are witness to, any behaviour of this type, please report it to the police immediately or via our Speak Out web pages. Details of how to report are below. We will investigate and, where necessary, disciplinary procedures will be followed. Further advice and information from police about COVID 19 is available here -

If you are feeling anxious during this time, further support is available via our wellbeing webpages. We have signed an open letter with partners across Exeter on tackling hate crime and racism in our community, particularly in light of recent incidents in relation to coronavirus. This is a time when we must work together and support each other - not create more division and hurt.
Read the letter in full​.

Please see these links for material available in Traditional Chinese:

A hate crime can be committed against a person or their property based on:

  • Disability
  • Race or ethnicity
  • Religion or belief
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender identity
  • or any part of someone’s personal identity

Hate crimes can include things like:

  • Being called names or other forms of verbal abuse
  • Being sent offensive letters, emails or text messages
  • Being attacked or threatened with violence
  • Having your property interfered with or damaged

If any of these things are happening to you, you should report them to the police and you can also report them to the university.

The university and the police take seriously reports of hate crime. We have a zero tolerance approach to hate crime and work together on this.

The police are committed to investigating all forms of hate crime. The university cannot report a hate crime to the police on your behalf but we can support you in making a complaint to the police.

If you are not sure if you have experienced a crime or not we would still encourage you to report it to the police or to talk to someone about this. Sometimes what you have experienced may not be a crime but if it is motivated by hostility or prejudice these are called hate incidents and these are also monitored by the police.

How do I report?

If it is an emergency where life is threatened, people are injured or offenders are nearby and an urgent response is required, ring 999.

You can report hate crime to the police in a number of different ways

If you do not wish to report to the police direct you can report through a third party who may also be able to provide help and guidance:

By reporting through a third party you can remain anonymous if you wish to but please read the guidance on the provider website about how to do this.

The university cannot report a hate crime to the police on your behalf but we can support you to make a report to the police. You can ask for this support when you report an incident informally or formally or through the Wellbeing Service or the Student Cases team.

You can read more about hate crime, how to report and details of third parties on the Devon and Cornwall Police website here.

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is the misuse of power and control by one person over another. This controlling behaviour may take place in various ways, for example through physical violence, emotional or psychological manipulation, forcing sexual acts or taking over your finances. It is never the fault of the person who is experiencing it. It can begin at any time, can be obvious or subtle and can happen suddenly or gradually. It can happen to anyone regardless of class, age, race, religion, culture, disability or sexual orientation.

For more information on domestic abuse, signs to look out for and actions you can take if you’re affected by abuse visit the Devon & Cornwall Police website.

Where to get help:

Need Help Now?

Do not be afraid to call 999 and ask for the police in an emergency.

Silent Solution: When you call 999, the operator (the person on the phone) will ask which emergency service is required. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator. If you cannot say ‘police’ or ‘ambulance’, because you think you may be in danger, respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can. When asked to do so, press 55 on your phone. This lets the 999 call operator know it’s an emergency and that you aren’t safe to speak. Click here to find out more.

Additional Support

There are a wide range of organisations that can provide advice and support to people affected by domestic violence and you can find more information here.


The University provides wellbeing services in Exeter and Cornwall.

The Students’ Guild (Exeter) has a list of places students can find support – from the Guild and the University as well as from external organisations.

The Students’ Union (Cornwall) has a range of resources that you can access to find the right help and support for you.


Find out about the support and resources for staff here.

Exeter Speaks Out

Our University is an inclusive community, where everyone has the right to feel safe and be treated with respect. If you've experienced or witnessed abuse at the University we encourage you to report it and to get the support you might need. These pages provide information for students and staff.

Need help to reach a refuge?

If you have a place at a refuge but need help to travel there, GWR runs a Rail to Refuge programme and you can find further details here.