Annual Fund FAQs
Alumni Annual Fund FAQs
For more information about applying for funding, please contact the Alumni Annual Fund team (firstname.lastname@example.org). Find out more about recent projects made possible by alumni donations.
You can apply for funding at any time in the year by completing an Alumni Annual Fund Application Form
Decisions about which projects will be awarded funding are made by the relevant Academic Faculty, Professional Service, The Student’s Guild, The SU (Cornwall) or the Athletics Union.
To be successful, projects must demonstrate that they will enhance the student experience and impact upon a large audience of students. In addition, projects which create or improve links with the local community or which help to promote Exeter on a national or international scale will be looked upon more favourably. Further, respect for the alumni donors must be demonstrated in how applicants go about accessing funding.
Please also refer to details on what cannot be funded in the Alumni Annual Fund Grants section here.
If you need any help with your application please contact the Annual Fund team.
Thousands of alumni and supporters of the University donate to the Alumni Annual Fund every year. The money raised is then used to fund projects across all University departments and campuses, including Exeter's Students’ Guild, The SU (Cornwall), the Athletic Union and each of the academic Faculties. Applicants must note in their application form where their project is aligned to.
Applications are initially reviewed by the Annual Fund team in the Global Advancement Office, and those which meet the Annual Fund criteria are then forwarded to the appropriate Faculty/Service contact for decisions on allocation. There is discretion left to the Faculty/Service about how they want to award projects, with £2000 being an average amount.
Global Advancement will also look to see if there are any other appropriate sources of funding available to support these projects, and will provide such information to the Faculty/Service contact to take into account.
Applicants will be informed directly of decisions by the Annual Fund team in Global Advancement.
- Student-led projects which are not affiliated with the Students Guild or Athletic Union will require a staff member to act as a budget holder and approve spending.
- Applicants must submit the Alumni Annual Fund Project Report Form in which they will explain how the funds have been used in order to reclaim the money from Global Advancement. This report must include where possible the following:
- Photographs or videos of the project (where appropriate)
- Full information about how the money was used
- How the fund has benefitted the department/college/wider University
- Feedback and quotes from students who have benefitted
- Feedback and quotes from any alumni volunteers involved in the project
- Projects must publicise the support they have received from the Annual Fund. They may display the logo on materials, equipment*, websites, social media, internal publications etc., to ensure appropriate recognition of alumni support and to help raise awareness of philanthropy amongst students. Funding is awarded on the condition that staff, students, and other individuals involved in this project must be made aware that it is supported by gifts from donors to the University. Future donor support for the University of Exeter is reliant on raising the profile of the importance of philanthropy and demonstrating to donors the impact of their giving. Donors wish to see their gifts having direct and immediate impacts for our students. The Annual Fund team can provide support and guidance throughout the process to achieve the best possible outcome and ensure that donors feel appreciated.
- Failure to submit the required information, or deliver on the agreed promotion and publicity of alumni funding, may result in funding being withheld.
- Funds awarded can only be claimed on presentation of appropriate proofs of purchase along with details of the cost code to be credited.
- Funds must only be spent for the purposes for which they have been awarded.
- The University of Exeter will only make payments of grants if it has sufficient funds.
- Funds must be spent within the academic year. If funds have not been drawn down within this period, approval for projects may be withdrawn and the funds reallocated.
* Annual Fund stickers are available to attach to equipment purchased.
If you have been awarded an Annual Fund grant for a project and are ready to reclaim funds, please complete an Annual Fund Report Form and return it to email@example.com. Funds cannot be reclaimed until reports have been received.
Please note: Applicants should only spend their funds after the award agreement date, not in advance of it. Claims must be made after items have been bought, and proof of expenditure needs to be provided. This is to ensure that funds are being spent in line with donors’ wishes.