We are proud to have achieved a one star rating in the new Fairtrade University and Colleges Awards.
MYTH - "Fairtrade products are more expensive"
FACT - Many Fairtrade certified products are own-label or inexpensive brand products.
MYTH - "Only a small percentage of the price of a Fairtrade product goes to the farmer"
FACT - The percentage of the farmers price is decided before it hits the shops, ensuring they receive a fair price.
Fairtrade on campus
Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world.
We have enhanced our commitment to the Fairtrade cause by achieving a one star accreditation in the new Fairtrade University and College Award.
The award has been designed in conjunction with the Fairtrade Foundation and National Union of Students, with Exeter being one of only twelve institutions to have taken part in the first round of the accreditation.
The University Commitment
The University is committed to supporting, using and promoting Fairtrade within the retail and catering outlets and services on campus and works towards a number of goals set by the Fairtrade Foundation.
- These goals include selling Fairtrade products such as food and cotton items on campus, as well as serving Fairtrade food and drinks at campus events.
- The University Fairtrade Policy provides more information.
- We are also working towards achieving the Fairtrade University and College Award. See our action plan.
- We compile an Annual Report which is updated on a regular basis to outline our progress.
Events - Its Fairtrade Fortnight!
To highlight and celebrate the cause, each year we celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight, with events, promotions and competitions. Read about our activities this year on the tab below or on our Facebook page.
Available on Campus
We're proud to be supporting the work of the Fairtrade Foundation by bringing some exciting and delicious products to our customers, including:
- Divine chocolate bars - Milk, white, dark and orange
- Starbucks frappuccino - Vanilla, mocha and coffee
- Gusto drinks
- Tate & Lyle - Demerara sugar
- Green & Blacks - Hot chocolate and chocolate bars including; milk, white, dark, hazelnut, maya gold
- Lichfield's - English breakfast tea
- Barisca Coffee Co. brand coffee - ground and beans
Play Fair - Get Involved
We are on the lookout for students who are interested in helping us to embed Fairtrade throughout our services and to promote ethical, fair practices across our campuses. If you are interested and feel passionate about Fairtrade issues, here are just some of the ways in which you can get involved:
- Choose Fairtrade products and encourage your friends and colleagues to do the same
- Attend Fairtrade themed events on campus - take a look at our Facebook page to find out more and share our posts to help spread the word.
- Join a working group that meets termly to help towards us achieving an University & College Fairtrade award. No huge commitment is required but student contributions will be invaluable to the University community. If you'd like to get involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the scoping exercise survey about Fairtrade for the NUS – it takes around 10 minutes to complete.
- Consider building Fairtrade into your degree - if your course work or dissertation provides an opportunity to investigate Fairtrade, trade justice or ethical consumption issues, let us help you. Contact email@example.com.
- Become an auditor for the Fairtrade University & College award on behalf of Students Organising for Sustainability. Volunteer auditors conduct an audit of the University to review the efforts to embed and promote Fairtrade and wider ethical consumption. Full training will be provided. Find out more and register here (deadline for applicants is 20th March).
Supporting The Cause This Year
This years Fairtrade Fortnight highlights the growing challenges that climate change brings to farmers and workers in the communities Fairtrade works with.
We aim to raise awareness of how important it is to support Fairtrade. This year we have planned the following;
- 10% discount on all Fairtrade accredited products in our shops
- Promotion of our Barisca coffee co. Fairtrade hot drinks
- Special Fairtrade bakes in our outlets
- General promotion of the work of Fairtrade and accredited products
- Guess the amount of bananas competition