LGBTQ+ Staff Network
We believe it's important to help create an inclusive environment for all sexual orientations and gender identities within the University.
We also want to offer a visible and accessible source of support as whilst many people may be comfortable with their own sexual orientation and gender identities and that of others, this may not be the case for everyone.
What does LGBTQ+ mean?
LGBTQ stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (including non-binary identities), and Queer / Questioning. The '+' covers all other types of sexual and gender identities such as asexual, intersex and genderqueer.
You can find a more detailed list of terms relating to sexual orientation and gender identity here.
We believe it is really important to have accessible LGBTQ+ contacts and role models within the University. We have specific roles within the network for areas of support, but if you would like general support, or would like to speak to someone else confidentially within the network please write to LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk.
- Chair: Stephen Clifford
- Bi Representative/Comms and Marketing Co-ordinator: Tom Caro
- Policy Co-ordinator: Jana Funke
- Trans Policy and Support: Madi Pollard-Shore
- Non-binary Representative: Thekla Morgenroth
- Professional Services Representative: Lena Worwood
- College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences Representative: Claire Davies
- College of Life and Environmental Sciences Representative: Sharon Dixon
- College of Social Sciences and International Studies Representative: Claire Dunlop
- Co-ordinator: Josh Smith
- Co-ordinator: Agnes Bacon
- Co-ordinator: Jon Davies
- Co-ordinator: Alex Dudgeon
- Co-ordinator: Emma Hudson
- Co-ordinator: Corinna Lowry
To join the network please e-mail LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk
The Network is open to all staff and PGR students of all sexual orientations and gender identities who would like a secure space to fully express their sexual orientation and/or gender identity without fear of intimidation or harassment.
We also welcome those who do not identify as LGBTQ+ but would like to show their support for the LGBTQ+ community by being an ally, to join the allies mailing list, please contact LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk
We run and promote a number of events, including a monthly Coffee Morning, and Pride on Campus.
Most events are open to all but some may be specifically for those that identify as LGBTQ+, and some may be just for allies.
The network is organised by a group of volunteer co-ordinators who:
- provide advice and input into the University's inclusivity agenda, training, policies and guidelines
- represent the Network at the University's Inclusivity Group
- review survey results that tell us about how we are performing as a LGBT-inclusive workplace, such as the Employee Engagement Survey and Stonewall's Workplace Equality Index
- work with other LGBTQ+ groups outside the University.
If you have any ideas for events or would like to become network co-ordinator, please do get in touch.
LGBTQ+ Staff: please contact LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk and we will add you to our mailing list. From the mailing list, you will hear about all upcoming events and opportunities to get involved.
Allies: We are running a separate mailing list for allies, so if you would like to be kept informed on LGBTQ+ inclusivity matters and events then please contact LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk to be added to our allies mailing list.
Both mailing lists are closed lists which means that only members can send and receive emails to the group. The lists are only visible to our mailing list co-ordinator.
Here are the societies for University of Exeter students to join
A list of local LGBTQ+ organisations and events