Courses and resources
Induction for People Managers
Leadership and Management.
About this course:
Whether you lead a small or large team of academic or professional staff, the role can be challenging, yet extremely rewarding.
You play a key role in the success of the University.
This session is designed to set you off on the right track with a clear understanding of the University's expectations of you as a manager.
You will hear from expert speakers on key areas of responsibility, including performance management, health and safety, reward and recognition, developing your staff.
This course is designed to help you during your first 100 days and signpost you to support and information and also help you understand what's expected of you and provide some key information.
It will also help you to identify how you can develop your knowledge and skills further, if appropriate.
As a result of attending this course, you will be able to:.
- Understand your responsibilities as a manager of people within the University.
- Identify any gaps in your people management knowledge / skills.
- Know how to access further guidance and support.
- Plan your own professional development as a leader and manager.
The following topics will be covered:.
- The employee lifecycle: manager's role and procedures (recruitment, appointment, probation, wellbeing, PDR).
- Key legal concepts and duties including: health, safety and wellbeing, equality and diversity, developing self and others.
Who should attend this course:
This course has been designed for all staff groups both academic and professional staff.
You may be managing people for the first time; experienced but new to the University or would like a refresher on your responsibilities in this area.
Members of staff from University's HR Advisory Team, Health and Safety, Occupational Health and People Development.
Before the course:
We will send you some resources which we would like you to have understood before the workshop.
Please add yourself to the waiting list and we will contact you once dates are available.