Skip to main content

Rules around visas and working in the UK

International Student Support at Exeter

At the University of Exeter we have a dedicated International Student Support team who specialise in immigration advice. They provide lots of help and support around visa regulations.

If you plan to work in the UK after your studies, read the section on Working Visas. If you are thinking about part-time work or internships this section on working during your studies and vacations is important.

You can get help from the team in different ways whether it's by going to a digital drop-in, sending an email or attending one of their webinars, choose the method that best suits you. The team also jointly deliver workshops specifically designed for international students, these sessions are bookable via Handshake

Popular visas for international students 

In 2021, the UK government introduced the Graduate visa (post-study work). Students completing an undergraduate or Master’s degree can apply to stay and work in the UK for two years with this visa.

Some international students are also interested in the Skilled Worker visa (formerly Tier 2). In order to apply under the Skilled Worker route, you need sponsorship by a licensed employer to do a specific job that meets minimum levels of skill and salary.

You may be interested in other working visas, which are less well known, such as the Start-Up visa or the Government Authorised Exchange visa. The International Student Support pages provide information about them

Careers workshops which include visa advice

We run a range of careers workshops in collaboration with International Student Support which include visa advice such as;

  • 'What every international student needs to know about working in the UK after studying'
  • 'Maximising your time as an international student in the UK: Work experience, internships and other ways to shine in front of employers'
  • 'Please sponsor me! Managing employers and visas'

You can book via Handshake.