Skip to main content

Funding and scholarships for students

UK government grants and loans

Maintenance loan

Full-time UK students can apply for a maintenance loan to help with living costs in each year of your degree. The amount you get will depend on your household income. The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. You have to pay the loan back.

Full-time Student2021/222022/23
Living at home Up to £7,987 Up to £8,171
Living away from home, outside London Up to £9,488 Up to £9,706
Living away from home, in London Up to £12,382 Up to £12,667
Spending a year of a UK course studying abroad Up to £!0,866 Up to £11,116

For further details visit the Student Finance government website. Use the student finance calculator to estimate your Maintenance Loan.

Tuition fee loan

Covers your full tuition fees and means that you will not have to pay undergraduate tuition fees before you start or during your time at university. It is paid direct to the university.

NHS Learning Support Fund

Through the NHS Learning Support Fund, students starting or continuing study on a range of Nursing and Allied Health degrees at undergraduate or postgraduate level can apply for a Training Grant of £5,000 per academic year.

Potential extra payments worth up to £3,000 per academic year will be available for eligible students. This includes £1000 for those studying in an area of shortage specialism, including radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic) and mental health nursing. Find out more and how to apply on the NHS Learning Support Fund website.