About the award
The Sanctuary Scholarship scheme enables individuals seeking asylum and refugees who are not able access student finance to study at the University of Exeter.
As well as meeting the academic requirements for your chosen programme of study you will also need to demonstrate that:
- You have submitted a claim for asylum within the UK and are awaiting a response (this includes submission of a fresh claim) or
- You have Limited Leave to Remain (formerly Discretionary Leave to Remain) in the UK and are not eligible for funding via Student Finance England or
- You have been awarded ‘Humanitarian Protection’ or Refugee status in the UK but are not eligible for funding via Student Finance England or
- You have left care in the UK and are assessed as international for tuition fee purposes and are not eligible for funding via Student Finance England or
- (For applicants to postgraduate research programmes only) You have been granted refugee status* by the UK Home Office or
- You are the family member of someone with one of the immigration statuses listed above with ‘in line’ or ‘dependent’ status
Programme of Study
Sanctuary Scholarship applications will be considered from students applying to the following programmes:
- Full-time undergraduate degree programmes
- Full-time Doctorate level programmes (eg PhD, EngD,EdD)
The following programmes are not eligible for Sanctuary Scholarship funding:
- BMBS Medicine – this is due to a cap imposed by the NHS on the number of home students we can recruit to the programme. Any change to the fee status of a student during their studies would put the University in breach of this cap
- Any taught or research Masters programmes (eg MA, MSc, MPhil, MbyRes)
Value of Scholarship
- Undergraduates – a full tuition fee waiver plus a grant for living costs of £9500 for each year of study.
- Doctorate Students (STEM disciplines) - a full tuition fee waiver plus an annual living cost grant of £15,009. A research allowance of £5000 per year will also be paid. All funding will normally be for a maximum of 3.5 years.
- Doctorate Students (HASS disciplines) -a full tuition fee waiver plus an annual living cost grant of £15,009. A research allowance of £750 per year will also be paid. All funding will normally be for a maximum of 3 years.
How to apply
If you want to submit an application for the Sanctuary Scholarship we encourage you first to apply for a place at the University. Before doing this you might wish to check our information on applying for undergraduate study or postgraduate study.
Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship must be made using our online application form.
You will be required to upload proof of your immigration status and a reference. Your reference should be from someone who has known you for a significant period of time and who is aware of your personal circumstances.
If you are applying to study as a postgraduate research student, you will also need to include a research proposal.
We aim to be able to communicate all decisions by 19th June 2020.
|Application deadline:||18th May 2020|
|Number of awards:||3|
|Value:||Full tuition fee waiver plus annual living cost grant|
|Duration of award:||per year|
|Contact: Jim Pricefirstname.lastname@example.org|