Arab and Islamic Studies
- 4th for Arab and Islamic Studies in the National Student Survey 2016
- Largest centre for Middle East Studies in a UK university with excellent research links in the Islamic world
- Scholarships available and HRH Prince Alwaleed Al Saud Awards to support study visits to Arab countries
- MAs suitable for students from a wide range of disciplines
- Students from all over the world including Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Middle East
- The Institute has the strongest REF2014 results of any Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies department in the UK submitted to the Area Studies Panel, and they establish Exeter as the leader in the field in terms of research quality, impact and environment
- Unique research resources including Europe’s most important research collection on the Arab world
The Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies is one of the foremost academic institutions in the UK offering research and taught degree programmes in a wide range of areas within the field of Arab, Middle Eastern, and Islamic Studies. We offer Arabic and Middle East languages as well as comprehensive education in the literatures and cultures of the Arab world and Middle East, the history, politics, economies, societies, and anthropology of the region and almost every aspect of Islamic studies from medieval to modern Islam. A number of dedicated research centres and links with other subject areas provide you with an opportunity to branch out into other disciplines and areas of study, as well as reinforcing the teaching you receive through cutting-edge research and engagement with current issues.
Our first class facilities provide the perfect setting in which to study your postgraduate degree: our impressive building is the best purpose-built Middle East centre in the UK and is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities. The Arab World Documentation Unit is housed within the The Middle East Collections in the Forum Library.