- 11th in the world for Geography
- 7th in the UK for research and 3rd for research power in Geography and Environmental Studies and 4th in the UK for research in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences
- 7th for Geography and Environmental Science in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- Recognised for the receipt of ESRC studentships in Human Geography
- Excellent research facilities including £3.7 million SRIF-funded Sediment Research Facility in Exeter and the £30 million Environment and Sustainability Institute in Cornwall
Ranked in the top 15 in the world, Geography at the University of Exeter offers a lively, thriving and innovative research environment at campuses in both Cornwall and Exeter. We attract funding from a wide-range of sources including research councils, charities, the UK government and industry, and we enjoy strong links with national and international research projects. Our research groups span the breadth of geography: Cultural and Historical Geographies; Environment and Sustainability; Nature, Materialities and Biopolitics; Space, Politics and Society; Environmental Change and Landscape and Ecosystem Dynamics. We are engaged in a number of interdisciplinary areas of research at the University including Climate Change and Sustainable Futures, Environmental Sciences and Earth System Science.
You can choose from a range of innovative taught programmes that are relevant to 21st century challenges and provide a fantastic platform for future employment. The Streatham Campus in Exeter offers the £3.7 million Sediment Research Facility which provides additional laboratories, experimental facilities and a wide range of state of the art analytical equipment.
The Penryn Campus in Cornwall, is home to the University’s Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) –an interdisciplinary centre leading cutting-edge research into impacts of environmental change and the mitigation and management of its effects.
You will be part of a vibrant postgraduate community benefiting from quality research-inspired teaching and access to outstanding facilities.
1 QS World University Rankings by Subject 2014 – Geography and Area Studies
2 Based on intensity-adjusted Grade Point Average
3 Times Higher Education research power ranking
4 Based on a weighted average of research in Geography and Environmental Studies, and Earth Systems and Environmental Science, classified as 4* and 3*