Student Academic Appeals

You have a right of appeal against academic decisions and recommendations made by Boards of Examiners and Faculty Boards (or Deans acting on their behalf) that affect your academic progress.

Appeals can be made against the following decisions:

  • a formal assessment result
  • a degree classification
  • a decision consequential to an academic failure (e.g. termination of registration)
  • a decision consequential to unsatisfactory academic progress
  • postgraduate research students may also appeal against a decision relating to their registration status, such as transfer to continuation status, change of mode of study, early submission of thesis etc.

It is a principle of the University that appeals cannot be made against the academic judgment of either an internal or external examiner of the University. You can, however, appeal if you believe that this judgment was not made fairly or according to the correct University process.

Full details of the University's Academic Appeals Procedure can be found at the link below, which also contains all relevant Academic Appeal forms i.e.

  • Formal Appeal form
  • Appeal Review form
  • Appeal against Unsatisfactory Progress form
  • Appeal against a temporary visa interruption form
  • Appeal against a withdrawal from Programme on Immigration Grounds form

Academic Appeals Procedure - 2016/17

Academic Appeals Procedure - 2017/18

‌‌Advice from the Students' Guild/FXU:

Please remember that an appeal must be submitted within 10 working days of notification of the decision you wish to appeal, and you cannot appeal against academic judgement. We recommend that you draft your statement of appeal and the grounds for your appeal and send it to us by email to and we can then advise on the clarity of your case.

For further information please visit:

Students based in Cornwall should visit:


Information and contact details for the Students' Guild Advice Unit:

The students' Guild Advice Unity offers a range of support whether you need someone to listen or are looking for support. Friendly, trained advisors can be contacted in person, by phone or by email to discuss any problems you might be experiencing in your University or personal life. The team can provide confidential support and signpost you to expert advice if needed.

You can find the Students' Guild advice Unit on Level +1 in the Forum, phone: 01392 723520 and email:


Information and contact details for FXU Advice and Welfare:

FXU has a team of fully trained and experienced advisers to help and support you. The Service covers the full range of issues including student funding, benefits advice, financial problems, housing queries, consumer advice, employment, institutional/academic related problems and more.

The Advice Service offers free independent, confidential, and impartial information, advice and support to all students of the University of Exeter Penryn and of Falmouth University Campus.

You can contact FXU by phone: 01326 255861 or by email on: