- 9th in the UK and 94th globally in The Times Higher Education World University Rankings for Engineering and Technology
- 86% of Engineering students in professional occupations or graduate-level further study within six months of graduating
- 10th in the UK for General Engineering in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017
- 9th in the UK for General Engineering in The Complete University Guide 2017
- 10th for Materials Technology in The Complete University Guide 2017
- All specialist MEng/BEng programmes professionally accredited
- Opportunity for an Engineering Sports Scholarship
Engineering challenges lie at the heart of many of the most significant problems facing society in the 21st century, ranging from responding to climate change through developing sustainable energy sources and making efficient use of scarce natural resources.
To be a successful engineer in the present fast-moving technological world you will require an education with the broadest possible interdisciplinary base. As tomorrow’s engineer, you will find that your career will involve not only bringing your own specialist knowledge to a project, but also collaborating with engineers from other disciplines and the management of interdisciplinary teams.
At Exeter we offer a range of exciting, rewarding and professionally accredited specialist degrees covering the major engineering disciplines. We recognise that professional engineers often work together within multidisciplinary teams, solving problems collectively, and this underpins how we teach. Our degrees offer professional and academic rigor within specialist engineering disciplines combined with a strong multi-disciplinary thread throughout.
When you join us you may have had little experience of the different disciplines within engineering, so you may be uncertain which area will most inspire you. Our core first year lets you try them all, giving you the flexibility to change direction as you explore this fascinating subject. During the first year you will engage with our enthusiastic and supportive faculty across all disciplines and see for yourself how essential a multidisciplinary approach is to both a successful engineering career and ground-breaking research. In the second and subsequent years you will specialise in your chosen area of engineering, leading to a specialist degree at MEng or BEng level. Added flexibility is provided through being able to transfer between BEng and MEng at the end of your second year, along with the opportunities to experience an industrial placement or a period of overseas study in any of our programmes.
We collaborate with numerous major UK and international industrial organisations, as well as smaller companies, ensuring our programmes are relevant to the industrial and commercial imperatives of today and to the needs of the future. Our faculty undertakes research projects crossing engineering borders, collaborating with scientists from across our integrated College including physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists. This unique environment provides an inspirational learning platform, which combines with our state-of-the-art facilities, and the personal support and academic guidance integral to our exemplary student experience, to provide the perfect launch pad for the engineers of the future.
The University of Exeter has a long history of accreditation success with its undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes in Engineering. Our MEng and BEng programmes include accreditation by the ICE, IET, IStructE, IOM3 and IMechE. Our degree programmes also conform to the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC (UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence) that specifies the requirements for achieving Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
Exeter has a different vibe to other universities; it’s very open and friendly. It’s constantly going up in the league table rankings, which is brilliant and will give more weight to my degree.
The lecturers and module leaders are really supportive and I always felt able to go to them for help with my work if I needed it. Generally the relationship between the academics and students is really laid back so you feel comfortable chatting to them about ideas and things.
I would never have wanted to go to another university; I have been able to reach my full potential at Exeter.
William Priest, BEng Mechanical Engineering graduate
Degrees in Exeter
- BEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering
- BEng Electronic Engineering
- MEng Electronic Engineering
- BEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- MEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- BEng Engineering
- MEng Engineering
- BEng Engineering and Management
- MEng Engineering and Management
- BEng Materials Engineering
- MEng Materials Engineering
- BEng Mechanical Engineering
- MEng Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering Site Management
- MEng Civil Engineering with Industrial Experience
- MEng Civil Engineering with International Study
- MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering with Industrial Experience
- MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering with International Study
- MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Experience
- MEng Electronic Engineering with International Study
- MEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science with Industrial Experience
- MEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science with International Study
- MEng Engineering and Management with Industrial Experience
- MEng Engineering and Management with International Study
- MEng Materials Engineering with Industrial Experience
- MEng Materials Engineering with International Study
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Experience
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with International Study
Majority of specialist degrees accredited under licence from the UK regulator, the Engineering Council.