- Top 10 for French, German, Italian, Iberian and Russian in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017
- Top 150 worldwide rankings for the subject
- Highly flexible degrees involving one, two or three languages
- Study the cultures of Europe and beyond with academic specialists
- Regular guidance in your choice of degree path tailored to your strengths and interests
- Final degree title represents your choices eg, BA French, BA Spanish with Russian, BA Italian and Portuguese, BA German, Chinese and French
- 4-year degrees with a well-structured year abroad which may be spent teaching English, on a work placement or in university study
- Friendly and vibrant teaching and learning community
Modern Languages at Exeter is one of the leading centres for modern languages research, teaching and learning in the UK. Our department comprises seven major language areas: Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish, and through optional modules you can also expand your study into other languages and cultures.
Our degrees offer a high level of choice, allowing you to focus on a main language and its culture, combine two or three languages (BA Modern Languages only), or study a language alongside another subject. You can tailor your degree to your strengths by taking up additional languages or specialising in a particular language area during your time here. You can also choose to focus your study on discovering the societies and cultures where these languages are spoken, or on studying languages and linguistics.
We place considerable emphasis on student support, especially for your year abroad. This includes preparation, information, support while abroad, and a range of modules tailored to the year abroad experience. We also involve our students in helping us to improve our programmes via Student- Staff Liaison Committees and the Student Engagement Scheme.
This combination of seven diverse language areas with shared aims and structures gives you the greatest opportunity to get what you want out of a Modern Languages degree; studying Russian or Chinese will open quite different doors from studying Italian or Spanish, but whichever language or languages you study, you will leave Exeter as a trained linguist, proficient in learning languages in context and engaging with other cultures.
Degrees in Exeter
- BA Modern Languages
- BA Modern Languages and Arabic
- BA Modern Languages and Latin
- BA Art History & Visual Culture and Modern Languages
- BA Classical Studies and Modern Languages
- BA English and Modern Languages
- BA Film Studies and Modern Languages
- BA History and Modern Languages
- BA International Relations and Modern Languages
- BA Philosophy and Modern Languages
- BA Politics and Modern Languages
- BA Sociology and Modern Languages
- Flexible Combined Honours