- Top 10 in the UK in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015
- In top 150 worldwide rankings for subject (QS World University Rankings 2013-14)
- Highly flexible degrees involving one, two or three languages
- Study the cultures of Europe and beyond with academic specialists
- Regular guidance in your choice of degree path tailored to your strengths and interests
- Final degree title represents your choices eg, BA French, BA Spanish with Russian, BA Italian and German
- 4-year degrees with a well-structured year abroad which may be spent teaching English, on a work placement or in university study
- Friendly and vibrant teaching and learning environment
Exeter has one of the strongest and most respected centres of modern languages research, teaching and learning in the UK. It comprises seven principal language areas: French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Chinese. Through optional modules, you can study other languages and cultures including Catalan and Japanese (subject to demand).
Our BA in Modern Languages enables you to study one, two or three languages, with a wide variety of different emphases and your final degree title will reflect the combination you have studied. Our degrees are as much about the study of culture as of language: learning a language is a gateway to understanding cultures represented through literature, art, cinema and more.
Our degrees offer a high level of choice, so you can focus on a main language, combine two or three languages or study languages alongside another subject. We understand that your interests are likely to change and grow during the course of your degree, and so our flexible degree structure allows you to tailor your studies to your strengths.
Our extensive range of modules include the language, linguistics, history, politics, philosophy, literature and cinema of our principal language areas. You'll be taught by specialists including native speakers and academic staff at the cutting edge of research. You can also choose from a range of options for your year abroad.
Your final degree title will fully reflect the choices you have made and clearly represent your expertise in particular languages and cultures.