- In the UK's Top 10 in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014
- In top 200 worldwide rankings for subject (QS World University Rankings 2012-3)
- Highly flexible degrees involving one, two or three languages
- Study the cultures of Europe and beyond with academic specialists
- Regular guidance in your choice of degree path tailored to your strengths and interests
- Final degree title represents your choices eg, BA French, BA Spanish with Russian, BA Italian and German
- 4-year degrees with a well-structured year abroad which may be spent teaching English, on a work placement or in university study
- Friendly and vibrant teaching and learning environment
Exeter has one of the strongest and most respected centres of modern languages research, teaching and learning in the UK. It comprises five major language areas: French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish. We also offer language and culture-based modules in Mandarin Chinese and Portuguese.
Our BA in Modern Languages enables you to study one, two or three languages, with a wide variety of different emphases and your final degree title will reflect the combination you have studied. Our degrees offer a high level of choice, so you can focus on a main language, combine two or three languages or study languages alongside another subject. We understand that your interests are likely to change and grow during the course of your degree, and so our flexible degree structure allows you to tailor your studies to your strengths by taking up another language or specialising in a particular language area. You can also choose whether your degree focuses more on studying language or learning about the societies in which these languages are spoken.
Our extensive range of modules include the language, linguistics, history, politics, philosophy, literature and cinema of the five major European languages and are taught by language specialists including native speakers and academic staff at the cutting edge of research in their particular disciplines. You can also choose from a range of options for your year abroad deciding whether you want to teach, study at another institution or undertake a work placement.
Your final degree title will fully reflect the choices you have made and will clearly represent your expertise in a particular language.
For general Modern Languages enquiries:
Contacts for each individual language are provided with the details for each programme.
Almost all of my classes were taught with no more than about 15 students, which made my learning feel more personal. This way, any questions were always answered, and the professor made sure we all understood before moving on.
Undergraduate in Spanish