- 81% of Mathematics students in graduate level employment or further study within six months of graduating
- 10th for Mathematics in The Guardian University Guide 2016
- Unique 4-year MSci programmes include named specialisms in Accounting, Ecology and Evolution, Environmental Science, Energy Systems and Control, Climate Science, Mathematical Biology, Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics, or Business and Finance
- Opportunities to study abroad at a range of partner institutions in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, and China
- Strong partnership with the Met Office includes joint professors and projects in the mathematics of climate
- 83% of research classified as world-leading or internationally excellent
Mathematics plays an integral role in many aspects of modern life. Every time you stream music and videos, you are using the mathematics of error-correcting codes to reliably download data. When you watch a TV weather forecast, you are looking at the result of sophisticated mathematical modelling of the Earth’s atmosphere, and artists have found inspiration in the beautiful and intricate fractal patterns, such as the Mandelbrot set, that emerge from surprisingly simple mathematical equations.
Mathematics provides the techniques and language to handle problems from a wide variety of disciplines. It has always been essential for engineering and the physical sciences, and is becoming increasingly important in the life, environmental and social sciences. Yet mathematics is not only studied because of its applications; it has a fascination and beauty of its own, characterised by precision and logical rigour.
A Mathematics degree from the University of Exeter will inspire you to fulfil your full potential and flourish – whatever your ambitions. We will encourage you to develop your critical thinking, challenge you to learn new ideas promptly and follow and digest complex reasoning. You will be a key part of our world class academic community, benefiting from the very latest, research- inspired teaching.
Mathematics forms a rewarding, inspiring, challenging and varied subject of study at university. Building on the mathematics from school or college, it encompasses:
- Pure mathematics: the study of mathematical objects such as numbers, sets and functions, leading to precise statements and rigorous proofs of their general properties;
- Applied mathematics: modelling and analysing phenomena ranging from the generation of the Sun’s magnetic field to the spread of disease in humans. Optimisation methods can be used to solve problems in business and industry, informing decisions and policy;
- Probability and statistics: investigating randomness and change, including pattern recognition and data modelling, with applications to fields as diverse as climate change, insurance and risk assessment.
New pathways for 2017 entrants
Following a curriculum review, with valuable student and staff input, we will be introducing a number of changes to the structure of our Mathematics degrees, commencing from Autumn 2017.
In the new scheme, Mathematics modules are organised into streams (shown here with coloured lines), particularly in years 1 and 2. These then branch into a wide choice of related modules in years 3 and 4, in the general areas indicated above. We have introduced 30 credit core modules to the 1st and 2nd years, which in turn will better inform your decision about pathways you can follow and optional modules you may choose. In years 3 and 4 we will continue to offer a wide range of 15 credit modules, allowing you to personalise your degree as you make choices that reflect your mathematical interests and career aspirations.
Degrees in Cornwall
Degrees in Exeter
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Mathematics with Accounting
- BSc Mathematics with Economics
- BSc Mathematics with Finance
- BSc Mathematics with Management
- MMath Mathematics
- MMath Mathematics with International Study
- MMath Mathematics with Professional Experience
- MSci Mathematics (Climate Science)
- MSci Mathematics (Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics)
- MSci Mathematics (Mathematical Biology)
- MSci Mathematics with Accounting
- MSci Mathematics with Economics
- MSci Mathematics with Finance
- MSci Mathematics with Management
- BSc Mathematics and Physics