- 14th in the UK for Mathematics in the Complete University Guide 2018
- 80% of Mathematics students in graduate level employment or further study within six months of graduating
- Undertake a professional placement at companies such as Lloyds Banking Group, Coca-Cola, Met Office and Pwc
- Study abroad at one of our partner universities in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and China
- Maths with Accounting, Economics or Finance programmes taught in partnership with the University of Exeter Business School
- Distinct programmes taught over two campuses with specialist MSci's aligned to our research groups
Mathematics plays an integral role in many aspects of modern life. Every time you stream music and videos, you are using the mathematics of error-correcting codes to reliably download data. When you watch a TV weather forecast, you are looking at the result of sophisticated mathematical modelling of the Earth’s atmosphere, and artists have found inspiration in the beautiful and intricate fractal patterns, such as the Mandelbrot set, that emerge from surprisingly simple mathematical equations.
Mathematics provides the techniques and language to handle problems from a wide variety of disciplines. It has always been essential for engineering and the physical sciences, and is becoming increasingly important in the life, environmental and social sciences. Yet mathematics is not only studied because of its applications; it has a fascination and beauty of its own, characterised by precision and logical rigour.
A Mathematics degree from the University of Exeter will inspire you to fulfil your full potential and flourish – whatever your ambitions. We will encourage you to develop your critical thinking, challenge you to learn new ideas promptly and follow and digest complex reasoning. You will be a key part of our world class academic community, benefiting from the very latest, research- inspired teaching.
Mathematics forms a rewarding, inspiring, challenging and varied subject of study at university. Building on the mathematics from school or college, it encompasses:
- Pure mathematics: the study of mathematical objects such as numbers, sets and functions, leading to precise statements and rigorous proofs of their general properties;
- Applied mathematics: modelling and analysing phenomena ranging from the generation of the Sun’s magnetic field to the spread of disease in humans. Optimisation methods can be used to solve problems in business and industry, informing decisions and policy;
- Probability and statistics: investigating randomness and change, including pattern recognition and data modelling, with applications to fields as diverse as climate change, insurance and risk assessment.
Degrees in Cornwall
Degrees in Exeter
- BSc Mathematics
- MMath Mathematics
- MMath Mathematics with International Study
- MMath Mathematics with Professional Experience
- MSci Mathematics (Climate Science)
- MSci Mathematics (Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics)
- MSci Mathematics (Mathematical Biology)
with Computer Science
- BSc Computer Science and Mathematics
- BSc Computer Science and Mathematics with Industrial Placement
- MSci Computer Science and Mathematics