- 84% of Mathematics students in graduate level employment or further study within six months of graduating
- 10th for Mathematics in the Guardian University Guide 2016
- Unique 4-year MSci programmes include named specialisms in Ecology and Evolution, Environmental Science, Energy Systems and Control, Climate Science, Mathematical Biology, Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics, or Business and Finance
- Enhance your study through options for studying abroad or undertaking an industrial placement module
- Strong partnership with the Met Office includes joint professors and projects in the mathematics of climate
- 83% of research classified as world-leading or internationally excellent
Mathematics plays an integral role in many aspects of modern life. Every time you stream music and videos, you are using the mathematics of error-correcting codes to reliably download data. When you watch a TV weather forecast, you are looking at the result of sophisticated mathematical modelling of the Earth’s atmosphere, and artists have found inspiration in the beautiful and intricate fractal patterns, such as the Mandelbrot set, that emerge from surprisingly simple mathematical equations.
Mathematics provides the techniques and language to handle problems from a wide variety of disciplines. It has always been essential for engineering and the physical sciences, and is becoming increasingly important in the life, environmental and social sciences. Yet mathematics is not only studied because of its applications; it has a fascination and beauty of its own, characterised by precision and logical rigour.
A Mathematics degree from the University of Exeter will inspire you to fulfil your full potential and flourish – whatever your ambitions. We will encourage you to develop your critical thinking, challenge you to learn new ideas promptly and follow and digest complex reasoning. You will be a key part of our world class academic community, benefiting from the very latest, research- inspired teaching.
Mathematics forms a rewarding, inspiring, challenging and varied subject of study at university. Building on the mathematics from school or college, it encompasses:
- Pure mathematics: the study of mathematical objects such as numbers, sets and functions, leading to precise statements and rigorous proofs of their general properties;
- Applied mathematics: modelling and analysing phenomena ranging from the generation of the Sun’s magnetic field to the spread of disease in humans. Optimisation methods can be used to solve problems in business and industry, informing decisions and policy;
- Probability and statistics: investigating randomness and change, including pattern recognition and data modelling, with applications to fields as diverse as climate change, insurance and risk assessment.
Degrees in Cornwall
Degrees in Exeter
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Mathematics with Accounting
- BSc Mathematics with Economics
- BSc Mathematics with Finance
- BSc Mathematics with Management
- MMath Mathematics
- MMath Mathematics with International Study
- MMath Mathematics with Professional Experience
- MSci Mathematics (Climate Science)
- MSci Mathematics (Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics)
- MSci Mathematics (Mathematical Biology)
- MSci Mathematics, Business and Finance
- BSc Mathematics and Physics