Postgraduate Teaching Assistants (PTA’s) - Contracting Guidance for Managers and Students (Regular/Pre-Scheduled Work)
From 24th September 2018, postgraduate students who are engaged for regular/pre-scheduled work will be employed on 3 month, 6 month, 9 month or annualised fixed term contracts of employment to ensure equality of treatment with other colleagues on similar working patterns. These changes form part of an ongoing review of our contracting arrangements for workers and will initially be piloted for 12 months.
Postgraduate students who are engaged for short term assignments of up to 12 weeks' duration will continue to be engaged via the Claims Payroll.
There are many benefits including:
- Greater professionalisation of the Postgraduate Teaching Assistant role, including clear association with the Education and Scholarship academic terms and conditions of employment;
- Enhances students' future employment opportunities by including employment status on CV’s;
- A commitment by both parties - in terms of the University to provide work and by the employee to undertake the work that has been agreed;
- Participation of postgraduate students in induction, probation, training and Performance Development Review procedures (via ePDR) for which payment will be made for participating in these activities;
- Membership of the university’s pension scheme arrangements “Universities Superannuation Scheme” and other benefits received by employees of the University, including sickness benefits;
- Ensures that the terms and conditions and benefits are applied equitably with other employees on similar contracting arrangements.
A flowchart setting out the new arrangements can be found here: PTA Process .
Further information and frequently asked questions for Postgraduate Teaching Assistants can be found here for PTAs and here for Managers. Queries relating to hours of work should be referred to your academic manager.
If you have further queries that cannot be clarified through the above links, please refer to the following contacts:
|College of Engineering, Mathematics & Physical Sciences||HRATeamC@exeter.ac.uk|
|College of Humanities||HRATeamD@exeter.ac.uk|
College of Life and Environmental Sciences
|College of Social Sciences and International Studies||HRATeamD@exeter.ac.uk|
|University of Exeter Business School||HRATeamA@exeter.ac.uk|
|University of Exeter Medical School||HRATeamA@exeter.ac.uk|
For queries relating to payroll - please contact email@example.com
For queries relating to contracts - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org