Professor Janice Kay, CBE
Professor Janice Kay is the Provost and Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor at the University of Exeter. Prior to her role as Provost, Janice spent 10 years as Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Education. She is a Professor of Cognitive Neuropsychology, first appointed to Exeter through a Wellcome Trust University Lectureship. Her research, funded most recently by ESRC as well as Wellcome and MRC, is concerned with theoretical modelling, assessment and rehabilitation of disorders of perception, speech, language and memory.
Janice’s external commitments reflect her extensive experience and passion for higher education. Janice is Deputy Chair of the panel assessing the Teaching Excellence Framework exercise, and is Chair of the TEF Subject Level Pilot which began in 2017. Janice is also a Board Member of Advance HE and member of the Advance HE Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee. For six years Janice chaired the UK 1994 Group Student Experience Policy Group
Janice has been prominent in widening access initiatives, nationally and regionally. She was instrumental in the establishment of the highly successful Exeter Mathematics School (one of only two in the country) and is now championing the further development of the mathematics school model in the UK with the Department for Education. Janice was a driving force behind the new Education Campus at Cranbrook, Exeter and the South Devon University Technical College. Taking the regional skills development agenda to the next level, Janice championed successful proposals for a new South West Institute of Technology as part of a ‘skills escalator’ approach for the region and is now Co-Chair of the committee overseeing its implementation. Janice has held numerous external positions linked to health sciences, further to her integral role in creating the University of Exeter Medical School. She is currently a non-executive director of the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust.
Janice was recognised in the 2017 Queen’s New Year honours with a CBE for services to Higher Education.
The Role and Responsibilities of the Provost
The Provost is the deputy for the Vice-Chancellor, and provides strategic leadership for the overall corporate plan and oversees the portfolio of University strategies, ensuring their delivery as part of a coherent institutional schedule of activity.
As the University's Provost, Janice has responsibility for:
- overall delivery for the University’s corporate plan and oversight of the portfolio of University strategies;
- overall accountability for the University’s strategic planning and budgeting processes;
- management of the University’s six Colleges, through the six Pro Vice-Chancellors;
- management of the Pro Vice-Chancellor for Cornwall and oversight of developments in Cornwall;
- Regional strategy development as part of a shared portfolio alongside the Deputy Vice-Chancellors;
- oversight of the Global Advancement function and achievement of the ‘Making the Exceptional Happen’ campaign plan alongside the Registrar and Secretary.
She is Chair of the following committees and groups:
- Planning Review Group;
- Provost's Advisory Group;
- Global Advancement Dual Assurance (with the Registrar and Secretary);
- EU Referendum Impact Working Group (with the Registrar and Secretary);
- Internal Fundraising and Campaign Board (with the Registrar and Secretary).
Provost is accountable to the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Lisa Roberts.
The Provost meets regularly with Pro Vice-Chancellors, who collectively oversee the University’s six Colleges to ensure alignment with Education, Research, Regional and Global strategies and the University’s strategic planning and budgeting processes.
Register of Interests 2020/21
|Organisation in which interest exists||Nature of interest (directorship, shareholding, membership etc.)|
|Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust||Non-Executive Director|
|Advance HE||Board Member|
|South West Institute of Technology||(Board Member (Deputy Chair)|