Do also let us know if you have any feedback on these web pages (as we are constantly updating them).
The Occupational Health team can also help you with expert confidential advice and support.
If you are unsure which team to contact feel free to email either Colleague Wellbeing or Occupational Health as we work closely together and will ensure you receive the support you need.
Giving up smoking can be a very challenging thing to do, but also a very rewarding achievement that will improve your physical and mental health.
Please see below for the support available to you in relation to cutting down or giving up smoking.
- Spectrum Life is our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) which is a confidential, neutral service provided by an external company to support colleagues at the University. One of the support services they can offer is support with addictions.
- Occupational Health Advisors provide a confidential service to employees of the university to support their good health at work.
External Support for Smoking
- Find your nearest NHS Stop Smoking Service, or call the Smokefree National Helpline on 0300 123 1044 to speak to a trained adviser.
- NHS Quit Smoking
- How to cope with cravings
- HelpGuide: How to Quit Smoking
External Support for Addictions
- Action on Addiction is a registered charity formed in May 2007 through the merger of Action on Addiction, Clouds and the Chemical Dependency Centre.
- Addiction Helper is an independent service for people with addictions. 24 hour confidential helpline staffed by addiction counsellors providing advice on NHS and private treatment options. Free confidential helpline: 0800 915 9401 or 0203 993 6451.
- NHS Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)- an NHS support you can refer yourself directly to for talking therapies, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), counselling, other therapies and guided self-help. Local IAPT services are listed below:
- NHS Talkworks (Devon)
- NHS Outlook South West (Cornwall)
- Steps2Wellbeing (Dorset)
- Plymouth Options (Plymouth)
- Somerset Partnership Talking Therapies (Somerset)
- VitaMinds (Bristol, N.Somerset, S.Gloucestershire)
- B&NES Talking Therapies (Bah & N.E. Somerset)
- If you live outside of these areas, you can find your local service using the NHS IAPT Search Tool.