Maximise your appointment
Maximise Your Appointment
So that you can get the very best out of your appointment, when you contact us to talk about a topic or to book an appointment, we will run through three quick steps you ought to take in order to get the best experience and 'maximise your appointment'.
Guidance appointments can vary greatly in their content and that is mostly driven by you and how prepared you are. As a rule of thumb, try to take these three steps:
- Identify: What have you done so far? Prepare notes about your current career thinking, what you have done so far, and what you have learnt.
- Create a list: Have a think about the key issues that you would like to discuss during the appointment, and inform the Careers Consultant of your ideas at the start of the appointment.
- Prepare: If there are any documents that you would like the Employability and Careers Consultant to look at during the appointment be sure to upload these to your Handshake profile in advance of your appointment booking.
For more information please see this short video about 1 to 1 appointments.
See also information about Careers Guidance.
Before your CV review appointment, if you haven't already, please remember to:
- Build it: Use the tools on My Career Zone Digital including an online CV builder to create a professional template CV.
- Check it: Use CV 360 to check your CV for accuracy, try to get as high a percentage score as possible.
- Tailor it: Identify a job (or sector) you would like to apply for, and bring the Person Specification or key skills required with you. You can find out more information on our Industry Reports pages.
See also this video about what to expect from CV, Cover Letter and Application Form appointments.
The best advice we can give is when we know what job or area you are applying for. Before you book or attend a casual jobs appointment, you should:
- Find: One or two roles that you would be interested in (they may be actual vacancies or indicative) - part-time jobs on Handshake.
- Create: Your CV and cover letter by logging onto My Career Zone Digital and going to the 'My Tools' tab
- Identify: Have a think about your key transferrable skills. This will help us to advise you in order to enhance your application.