Lost or stolen BRPs and passports
Lost or stolen BRPs and Passports
These are important documents, and the process of replacing them can be time-consuming and expensive, but we can help you.
If you have lost your passport or BRP card you should first make sure that you have checked everywhere it could possibly be. This means:
- Contacting the venue or location you were in when you last had it.
- If you lost it on campus, check the lost property of Estate Patrol (Northcote House) and SID (Forum), or at the Info Point desk in the Peter Lanyon Building if you are a Cornwall student
- Contact the local police station as it may have been handed in there.
If you are not in the UK you may need to remain in the country you are currently in while you replace your documents.
Carefully read through the information below and contact us when necessary. We will provide you with advice specific to your situation and any additional documents you may require.
If your BRP has been lost or stolen in the UK
Once you are sure you do not have your BRP:
- Report the loss to UK Visas and Immigration by using the online form. Once you report the loss to UK Visas and Immigration, your BRP will be cancelled immediately so you will need to apply for a BRP Replacement even if you later find your original BRP.
- Report the loss or theft to the police online.
- Contact us for personalised advice. Most students will need to apply for a replacement BRP within 3 months of reporting the loss. We will help you with the application, you can find more detailed information below about Applying for a replacement BRP in the UK. There are some situations where this is not necessary and we will provide guidance on what is best for your situation.
If your BRP has been lost or stolen outside the UK
- Report the loss or theft to the nearest police station and obtain a reference number or police report letter.
- Report the loss or theft to UK Visas and Immigration by using the online form. Note that once you report the loss to UK Visas and Immigration, your BRP will be cancelled immediately so you will need to apply for a BRP Replacement even if you find your original BRP later.
- Contact us giving details of your current situation and travel/study plans for the next few months. There are some situations where you do not need to replace your BRP and we will provide guidance on what is best for your situation.
- Read the section below for full information about Returning to the UK without your BRP.
- Apply for a full replacement BRP through our office within three months of returning to the UK. It can take a couple of months for this application to be granted, so you should get advice as soon as possible. You can find more detailed information below.