Considering applying to university and wondering what to expect when you get there can leave you with a lot of questions unanswered. On this page we aim to answer some of the questions we are frequently asked by prospective undergraduate students. Where possible, we provide links to other sites where additional information can be found.

If you cannot find an answer to your particular question here, please do contact the Admissions Office:

WebEnquire online
Phone: 0300 555 60 60 (UK callers)*
+44(0)1392 723044 (EU/International callers)

* Calling us on an 0300 number will cost you the same as a call to a standard landline number starting with 01 and 02.

If you have an inclusive call package for calling landline numbers on your mobile or landline telephone the call would simply be reduced from your available talk minutes. Otherwise your call will be charged at the same rate as calling a standard national rate number.

We welcome your feedback and comments. Please tell us how we did at

Making your application

What is the University UCAS code?

The UCAS code for Exeter is EXETR and E84.

Back to top

Does the University have a campus code?

There is no campus code for our campuses in Exeter (Streatham Campus and St Luke’s Campus). If you are applying to the University of Exeter’s Penryn Campus, Cornwall the campus code is C.

Back to top

Am I eligible to apply?

We welcome applicants with varied experiences and different backgrounds and we have a commitment that no student with potential is deterred from applying. Entry requirements can be high but a wide range of qualifications and experience are considered.

Before you apply you should check that you meet

  • our general entry requirements
  • the academic requirements and any additional selection criteria for the specific course for which you intend to apply; these can be found in the individual course pages
  • additional requirements and selection procedures which may apply for specific courses (eg, interviews, auditions and/or DBS checks); these can be found in the individual course pages.

Our Undergraduate Study site contains details of our entry requirements, and our typical offer. To find more information on qualification equivalencies, please view the following tables for UK, EU and international qualifications. If you would like advice on your eligibility, please contact the Admissions Office.

Back to top

Are there any lower/upper age limits for applicants?

Occasionally the University admits students who are under the age of 18 years. In most cases this will be a very temporary situation, as the student will be approaching their eighteenth birthday. The University treats all its students as independent, mature individuals and students who are under the age of 18 years will be treated in the same way. For further information, please see our policy for students under the age of 18. There is no upper age limit.

Back to top

How do I apply?

All applications for full-time study must be made through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) using their Apply online system. You can do this through your school or college, if they are registered with UCAS, or independently. Full details and instructions can be found on the UCAS website.

You should apply for part-time programmes direct to the University’s Admissions Office and not through UCAS. Application forms are available from the Admissions Office and should be returned between 1 September and 30 June immediately preceding the October entry. You need to apply before 15 January to be guaranteed equal consideration with full-time applicants applying by the UCAS deadlines. 

Applicants for the PGCE must apply through UCAS Teacher Training (UTT).

Back to top

Can I apply to my local university?

Yes. Where you live does not determine which universities you can apply to so for example if you live in Exeter there is no reason why you can’t apply to the University of Exeter, if it offers the degree you are interested in.

Back to top

Will where I went to school have an impact on my ability to get into university?

No, this is certainly not the case for Exeter. Each application we receive is considered individually. For most of our programmes we publish typical offers made as a range, and when deciding what offer to make for any one student, we take a range of factors into account, including predicted grades and other contextual information. In certain circumstances the average performance of students at a school may be considered alongside other factors.

Back to top

Does the University take into account parental participation at Higher Education?

Information on parental participation in HE may now be entered on the UCAS form but is not mandatory and we do not use it in making admissions decisions. As part of our admissions policy, we take into account relevant contextual data that can be verified and which may have affected your academic attainment to date. However, there is no guarantee that contextual information will necessarily mean the offer of a place, as each application will be considered holistically.

Back to top

When should I submit my application?

Your application should normally reach UCAS between 1 September and 15 January in any given application year. Applicants for Medicine must apply between 1 September and 15 October.

We guarantee that all Home/EU applications received by the UCAS deadline are given full, equal and careful consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered on an individual basis, depending on availability of places. To check if a programme is still available, please view the UCAS website.

Back to top

Can I apply directly for entry into the second year of a course based on my existing qualifications?

Please see our section on how to apply for full details.

Back to top

Can I apply for a Study Abroad programme?

Applicants for the Study Abroad programme should apply directly to the University, and full details are in our Study Abroad at Exeter site.

Back to top

Can I apply to study for one or two semesters?

Applicants for one or two semesters should apply directly to the University.

Applicants who wish to spend up to one year or semester in the UK as a recognised part of their course at their home institution should have completed at least two years of undergraduate study for admission to any of our programmes. You must follow regular programmes of study as offered to full-time students (please refer to our subject and programme pages for programmes of study). A statement of academic record (transcripts) will be issued at the end of a module and sent, as requested, to your home institution. To apply you will need to send us an application form and DBS form.

Back to top

How many students attend your University?

There are currently approximately 16,026 undergraduate students and 4,186 postgraduates. For further information about Exeter see our Facts and figures page.

Back to top

Where can I find out about declaring criminal convictions and Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) (formerly the Criminal Record Bureau - CRB) disclosures?

Please refer to our DBS webpages for further information.

Back to top

What happens after you have applied

How long does it take for a decision to be made on an application?

We will normally be able to notify you of our decision within 4 to 6 weeks of the date of your application. The decision period will tend to be longer for our most competitive courses where we receive a high number of applications and places are limited and where you need to attend for interview.

Decisions on applications submitted by 15 January will normally be made by the end of March at the latest. For undergraduate full-time applications, UCAS will inform you of our official decision and conditions although the University will also write to you informally. To monitor the status of your UCAS application you can use the UCAS Track service.

Back to top

I have declined your offer, but now wish to accept. What can I do?

UCAS allows applicants to amend their choices up to 14 calendar days after their initial decision. Applicants should contact UCAS directly if they wish to do this. After 14 days changes can only be made with the permission of the institutions concerned.

Back to top

Does the University take into account parental participation at Higher Education?

Information on parental participation in HE may now be entered on the UCAS form but is not mandatory and we do not use it in making admissions decisions. As part of our admissions policy, we take into account relevant contextual data that can be verified and which may have affected your academic attainment to date. However, there is no guarantee that contextual information will necessarily mean the offer of a place, as each application will be considered holistically.

Back to top

I have already been to an Open Day - what is the difference between an Open Day and an Offer Holder Visit Day? Do I need to visit again?

The general Open days give a broad overview of the University and its extensive facilities, whereas the Offer-Holder Visit Days are more specific and relate closely to the course that you have chosen to study. Each College holds its own Offer Holder Visit Days, and academic staff will be available to discuss courses in detail. If you have visited the University previously, it is not compulsory to visit again unless you are applying for a course which requires an interview.

Back to top

Once I have been accepted on to my chosen course unconditionally, what happens next?

For all applicants holding an unconditional offer, we send out accommodation information from Easter onwards. Joining instructions, giving details of enrolment, term dates and other useful information will be sent in August.

Back to top

Once I have received my A level grades can I decide to go to my insurance choice university even if I do well enough to be accepted by my firm choice?

No. It’s really important to understand how the application process works. Once you have accepted an offer from a university as your firm choice, and if you achieve the grades that they ask for, you have three choices – either to go to that university, be released to go into clearing or to withdraw altogether and apply again the following year. You cannot change your mind and decide to go to your insurance choice university. This will only be possible if you are unsuccessful in being accepted to your firm choice and your insurance university accepts you instead. Make sure whichever university you accept as your firm choice really is the one you want to go to!

Back to top

When does term start?

See the full list of our term dates.

Back to top

When/how is my accommodation allocated?

Accommodation is allocated to applicants whose status is Unconditional Firm and has submitted an accommodation application before the 31 July deadline. Allocation of accommodation normally begins around the middle of August. You do not need to inform the Accommodation Office that your place has been confirmed following the release of your results as this will be automatically done by the Admissions Office. Please visit our Accommodation section for further information.

Back to top

Can I defer my place?

If you wish to defer you will have to contact the Admissions Office who will ask for any request to be put in writing preferably via email. Please quote your UCAS ID number in all correspondence.

Back to top

I've lost my examination certificates, what should I do?

Please contact the Admissions office who will be able to provide advice on exactly which documentation is required and, if necessary, where evidence can be obtained. 

Back to top

Will I be called to interview?

A minority of courses require an interview, such as Medicine, Drama, and Physics. If this applies to the course for which you are applying, it will be stated clearly in the Entry Requirements section of the relevant programme page. Further details can be found in the Admissions Interview Policy.

Back to top

What do I do if illness or family problems have affected my academic performance and I do not think I will meet the conditions specified in my offer?

Any contextual information which you think is relevant that may have affected your performance in respect of grades should be sent to the Admissions Office in advance of your results through completion of our Applicant Extenuating Circumstances Form. Whilst we guarantee to consider such information, we are not always in a position to make concessions, but of course we endeavour to be as compassionate as possible. For further details please visit here

Back to top

If illness or other factors have affected my academic performance and I do not complete any qualifications that are part of my conditional offer, but have a deferred place, will I be made the same offer for the following year?

If you do not satisfy the conditions of your offer by August 31 in the year of application, we are unable to confirm your deferred entry place, it will be necessary for you to withdraw and re-apply through UCAS for entry in the following year.

Whilst we will give due consideration to students who have been affected by illness or other extenuating circumstances, it is not our policy to guarantee an identical offer for any new application.

Back to top

I want to change programme

If you are an applicant and have not yet registered on a programme with us and wish to be considered for a different programme to the one you applied for please contact the Admissions Office, quoting your UCAS ID number and the programme you would like to study.

If you are a registered Undergraduate student in your first year of study wishing to transfer to another programme, please contact the Admissions Office to obtain the appropriate form. Please note that you will also need to obtain your form from Admissions if you are applying to re-start your first year on a new programme of study.

If the change you are requesting is to a programme in the same College please contact your College. The peak time for change of programme requests for Year 1 is by the fourth week after the start of the term. Normally changes will not be permitted within the first year after this date.

Back to top

Money matters

Does my family have to be well off for me to apply to certain universities?

No. Your family income does not impact on which university you can apply to. Where it does have an impact is in the amount of financial support you can get, both directly from universities and from the government. To find out more about financial support visit the government's student finance pages, for individual university funding contact universities directly and to search for a whole range of scholarships on offer try the funding pages of or other scholarship search sites.

Back to top

How much are tuition fees? When/how do I pay?

Our tuition fees section provides summary information on current fees. For latest details regarding fees and payments please see our Student Finance site. You may also find the information on the government student Finance site helpful.

Back to top

I live outside the UK, but I am a British citizen, what fees do I pay?

Fee Status is determined using the UKCISA guidelines. As a general principle, applicants will normally be regarded as international for fee purposes unless they have been ordinarily resident in the EEA for three years immediately before the start of the academic year in which the course begins. More information on fee status can be found on our Student Finance pages. For further information for students living or working overseas please visit the Student Finance England website for their page for Britons living abroad, or the University of Exeter’s International Students site.

Back to top

Will taking out a student loan have a negative impact on my ability to get a mortgage in later life?

No. The Council for Mortgage Lenders advise that a student loan is very unlikely to materially impact on an individual’s ability to get a mortgage.

Back to top

Do you offer any scholarships?

The University of Exeter has a wide range of funding available. Please visit our Funding site for further information.

Back to top

What are you doing to support students from lower income households?

We are committed to ensuring that high achieving students will be able to study for an undergraduate degree at the University of Exeter irrespective of their financial background. In 2014-15 we're spending approximately £8 million on financial support for our UK/EU students. In addition we're spending £1.6 million on outreach activities including individual mentoring, projects in schools, summer schools, and other activities with students, parents and teachers, to raise aspirations and encourage students to enter and remain in higher education.

Back to top

How much will I have to pay if I choose a degree which includes a year abroad or a year-long industrial placement?

If, as part of your four-year degree programme, you spend a full academic year studying or working abroad you will pay a reduced fee of £1,350 (or 15 per cent of the maximum fee for that year). If you spend a full year on a work placement (in the UK) you will pay a reduced fee of £1,800 (or 20 per cent of the maximum fee).

Back to top

How much will I have to pay if I choose a degree which includes a semester abroad?

If you are studying abroad for a semester you will pay the standard tuition fee for the year in which you are away, ie, £9,000.

Back to top

My degree involves a lot of field work. Will I be expected to pay extra for this?

Your tuition fee will cover the cost of participation in compulsory field trip/s, although you may be required to pay a contribution depending on your choice of field location. If you choose to participate in additional, optional field trip/s or field work, you may be expected to contribute to costs. Bursaries will be available to help eligible students pay for these additional optional costs.

Back to top

What support is available for part-time students?

Part-time students will still have to pay tuition fees on a pro-rata basis but can also apply for a tuition fee loan to cover their tuition costs, again on a pro-rata basis. To be eligible for a tuition fee loan, this must generally be the first time you’ve studied on a higher education degree and you must complete a minimum of 25 per cent of the equivalent full-time course load per year. Part-time students can’t get a grant for their living costs. We know that part-time and mature students often have more complex financial queries that they need to discuss before they make the decision to go to university. Prospective students can access impartial advice from the Students’ Guild Advice Unit. You can telephone them on 01392 723520 to make an appointment, email them at or visit the Student’s Guild Advice Unit website.

Back to top

Courses and qualifications

If I want to do a Law degree do I have to study Law at A level?

Entry requirements for all programmes differ from university to university, however you do not usually have to take a Law A level to do Law at university, and similarly with studying business and a whole range of other degree subjects. Some programmes do require particular A levels and you need to make sure you know what these are before you apply. To find out the entry requirements for any university or programme that you might be interested in applying to visit the UCAS site.

Back to top

Do my GCSE results matter once I’ve moved on to A levels?

This is one to do some research on. Some degree programmes may require you to have achieved certain grades in subjects such as English and Maths at GCSE as well as meeting the grades through your further education. University prospectuses and the UCAS website will be able to help you with this.

Back to top

What undergraduate courses does the University offer?

The University offers a wide variety of degree programmes at undergraduate level and you can find the latest information in our individual subject and course pages.

Back to top

Are all English degrees, for example, the same regardless of the university I study at?

No. Programme content and module options can vary significantly from university to university. In order to ensure that what you are applying to study is what you expect it to be you will need to do some research. Most universities will provide details of the course structure and the modules available on their websites.

Back to top

What are the entrance requirements for mature students?

Mature students who wish to study full-time should also apply through UCAS. Whilst we recognise that mature students may offer differing qualifications and experience which will be taken into account, you should normally have undertaken some recognised systematic course of study (eg, Access, Open University credits, or Advanced GCE) within the last three years. Relevant work experience may also be considered towards your application, and you should therefore supply full details with your application. We endeavour to interview all suitably-qualified mature applicants as part of our selection process. If you are considering applying as a mature student, you can find further information in our Mature Students section.

Back to top

Do you accept General Studies?

Whilst we recognise that students may be taking General Studies A level as part of their academic profile, we do not include General Studies as part of any conditional offer.

Back to top

Do you take into account the fact that I am doing a fourth A level (excluding General Studies)?

We take into account all academic qualifications that students are offering but any conditional offer is made over 3 GCE A level subjects and, where relevant, any specific A level subjects that we require.

Back to top

My qualification is from outside the UK - will it be acceptable to study at Exeter?

You should consult our general and subject-specific entry requirements information for A levels and the International Baccalaureate but the University also recognises a wide range of international qualifications. If you are studying outside the UK, the grading system and level of qualification in your country may not be the same as in the UK. If you are unsure whether your qualification meets our entry requirements, you can find out more information from our EU qualification pages or our International Office ‘Your Country’ page, by clicking on the country or region in which you have studied. Alternatively, you can contact us, or you may wish to contact the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC).

You can find further information about academic and English language entry requirements in our International section.

Back to top

Will the University consider Accredited Prior Learning (APL)?

It may be possible for you to have your learning from prior qualifications and experience accredited towards your degree programme. To be considered you will need to send information on your APL to the Admissions Office (along with information on the programme you are interested in studying) by completing either the Accredited Prior Certified Learning Form (for certified learning) or the Accredited Prior Experiential Learning Form (for experiential learning) using our online enquiry form. The Admissions Team will liaise with the Academic College to confirm whether any of your prior learning can be accredited to your new programme of study.

Back to top

How good does my English need to be?

Please visit our Entry requirements section for full details.

Back to top

Do you offer any Foundation courses?

We offer an International Foundation programme for students aged 17 or over who have completed secondary education and intend to study at a University in the UK. Successful students will reach the level required in English and their subject area for entry onto undergraduate courses, and will be awarded an Exeter University Foundation Certificate.

Back to top

Does the University offer part-time and/or distance learning courses?

There are two ways that you can choose to study part-time with us. Firstly, many of the undergraduate degree programmes described on our site are potentially available by part-time study. We advise you to check with the relevant College to ensure that it is possible with respect to timetabling arrangements before you make a formal application. For advice on the structure and availability of programmes in your chosen area of study you should contact the Admissions Tutor or the Head of the College/discipline concerned. Secondly, you may wish to study one of our distance learning programmes.

You should apply for part-time programmes direct to the University’s Admissions Office and not through UCAS. Application forms are available from the Admissions Office and should be returned between 1 September and 30 June immediately preceding the October entry.

Back to top

What if I am offering a 'non-standard' qualification?

If you are presenting 'non-standard' qualifications and the equivalencies cannot be found in our UK qualifications guide, EU qualifications guide, on our international pages 'In your Country' or under the programme requirements listed on UCAS, please contact us, providing as much detail as possible.

Tips for parents

We have produced a few useful tips specifically for you to consider when supporting your son or daughter in choosing a university, making an application and preparing for higher education. We hope you find these helpful.

Preparing to apply

  • Be positive and supportive but listen to any concerns your son/daughter may have.
  • Attend Parents’ Evenings organised in schools and colleges. These often have representatives from HE, who will be happy to answer general questions.
  • Visit the Parents’ page of the UCAS website.
  • Encourage your son/daughter to make use of the most relevant information. The UCAS website is a useful starting point.
  • Parents and students alike often want to look at University League Tables. The main League Tables are compiled by the Times, Sunday Times and the Guardian newspapers- information can be found on their web sites. Be careful to look at subject ratings as well as overall performance. You might also find it useful to look at the National Student Survey, through which all final year students report what they felt about their overall teaching and learning experience – see Unistats website.
  • Your son/daughter will be able to visit universities on their Open Days - but if you’re not able to attend a scheduled Open Day you can often arrange to visit for a general ‘campus tour’ on an alternative day.
  • Encourage your son or daughter to consider all aspects of life at university, not just the subject being studied. For example, they will want to think about location, accommodation, sporting and social life, as well as support services.
  • Talk through with your son/daughter any questions they may need to ask – but encourage them to ask these questions themselves rather than you doing it on their behalf!
  • Remember it’s their choice, and no matter how much parents want to influence, students have to choose what’s right for them.

Finance issues and managing on a budget

  • Find out about finance available on the Gov.UK student finance website
  • Make sure your son/daughter applies for finance once they’ve applied to university to make sure it’s ready at the start of term.
  • Encourage your son/daughter to open a bank account which will be suitable for the deposit of any grant or loan.
  • Help your son/daughter to budget by working out how much a week they will have to live on, and what they think they might need to spend.
  • Discourage use of credit and store cards.
  • Make sure we are made aware of any disability or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia early on, to make sure they get the support available
  • For further information, see our pages on Money Matters.