Being a mentor has given me the opportunity to work as part of a great team and make new lifelong friends. The satisfaction of knowing that you are helping other students is something I really enjoy and is really special. Mentoring has also helped me improve my overall confidence, as well as providing me with new experiences and skills which I can use once I graduate. Definitely recommend it!
Past Residence Life Mentor
Residence Life Team
Welcome to Exeter!
We understand that living in student accommodation is a unique experience and can bring new challenges. The Residence Life Team is part of the Welfare Team at the University and are here to provide support, guidance and advice to students living in residence.
Our team of peer-support Residence Life Mentors visit residences throughout the year. We also run a programme of social events to help build community within our residences. Explore the tabs below to learn who we are and what we can help you with.
N.B. We will always treat your personal information with sensitivity and respect. Please read our confidentiality statement below for further information.
You can contact us in various ways:
- To book an appointment, select a time through our online booking system.
- For general enquiries please email us at: email@example.com.
- You can attend an event and request to speak to a team member.
You can follow everything we're up to - including updates about our programme of social events - by following our social media:
We can help with any practical questions about your accommodation, worries about living with others, flat disputes, questions about living in Exeter and health and welfare concerns.
If you are in urgent need of assistance outside our team hours, please call Estate Patrol on 01392 723999. In an emergency, please call 999.
Meet the Team
The Residence Life Team is part of the welfare department and is responsible for providing support to students in university residences. Here's some more information about our team members:
Residence Life Coordinators
The Residence Life Coordinators are full-time members of staff in the Residence Life Team. They help the Mentors with their role, as well as supporting students with more challenging circumstances. The Coordinators are available to set up meetings with residents to discuss any concerns that they may be having. You can contact the Residence Life Coordinators via firstname.lastname@example.org. Their working hours are in the afternoons and evenings.
Residence Life Mentors
Our Residence Life Mentors are experienced students who have a wealth of knowledge about what it is like to live and study here at Exeter. They host regular events where you can meet with them to ask any questions that you may have, or if you just want a friendly face to talk to. Each Mentor is assigned to an area of halls and will visit periodically throughout the year. More information on our Mentor team for 2022-23 is coming soon.
Check our calendar below (updated regularly) for details of our programme of events.
Follow our social media to keep up to date with everything we're up to and see pictures of previous events:
- Instagram- @ExeterResLife
- Facebook - @ExeterResLife
- Tik Tok - @ExeterResLife
- Eventbrite booking page - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/residence-life-31500981049
If you have any ideas for events that you would like to see us run please do get in touch and let us know!
What we help with
Living in university residences can sometimes be challenging, whether it’s your first time away from home, or your first time living here in Exeter. The Residence Life Team are here to help you have an enjoyable experience living with us, and can help with a range of different concerns:
- Advice about student life – our Mentors are current students, and our staff also have a wealth of experience of university life.
- Community building – we run regular events to help you connect with others and settle in.
- Second year housing – we can provide information and resources to help you make informed decisions about your options.
- Academic concerns – Mentors can provide peer insights into common study worries, and we can signpost you for further help if you need it.
- Flatmate disputes – if things aren’t going smoothly, we can facilitate conversations to help you resolve your difficulties.
- Accessing further support – if you aren’t sure what help is available to you and want to explore your options, we can help you find the right service.
To book an appointment with a member of the team please use this form.
If you raise a concern with us and it is not in our remit to help you we will signpost or refer you to the appropriate department to assist.
To help you get in touch with the right team first time, we’ve listed a few common queries below:
- If you’re looking for information about your Accommodation contract or want to find out more about room moves, the Accommodation Office can help with this.
- If something in your accommodation isn’t working or you have a question about the facilities, you should let your Reception know.
- If you want to request an overnight guest, you should follow the process detailed here.
- If you have a question about your accommodation fees, there’s more information here about how and when to pay, and who to contact with any concerns.
- If you have a complaint, you can find more information about how these are handled.
Many thanks for your interest in joining the team. We are not currently recruiting Mentors, but you are welcome to contact us if you would like us to hold your details on file and inform you of any future vacancies.
We understand that it can be difficult to trust other people with matters which may be deeply private. We will always treat your personal information with sensitivity and respect, and we regard this information (especially any concerns or problems you raise with us) as confidential unless you tell us otherwise.
Residence Life Team members work closely with each other as part of a team. In order to provide continuity of support (we work on a rota basis), and to ensure that we are providing the best support we can, we may need to share information between team members. This information is only shared on a need-to-know basis.
Full information on our confidentiality policy is available on the Wellbeing Service Policies website.