|Duration||1 year full time
2 years part time
Programme Director: Dr John D’Attoma
- Designed to give you the best possible preparation for a long and successful global career in accounting with a specialisation in taxation
- Gain a high-level academic understanding of contemporary developments in UK and international taxation policy and practice, together with accounting
- Alongside traditional accounting subjects, you’ll learn all aspects of taxation including policy development and implementation, and practical operation of tax systems in the UK and overseas
- Gain an understanding of a broad range of topics and a variety of optional modules, so you can specialise to suit your individual career aspirations
- You have the opportunity to combine your studies with ADIT, the international tax qualification with an advanced level designation in cross-border tax.
Triple accredited Business School
Accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB
6th in The Guardian University Guide 2019
Enhance your degree with Study Abroad opportunities
7th in The Complete University Guide 2019
A mid 2:2 degree (55%+) with honours or equivalent in a business related discipline such as Accounting, Business, Economics, Finance or Management from a recognised university. Candidates may also offer ACCA Papers F1-F9. We do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in business related modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications such as CFA, ACCA, ICAEW, ICAS and CIMA.
English language requirements
Click 'Read more +' below to view IELTS, TOEFL IBT and Pearson Test of English language requirements.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements:
Overall score 6.5. No less than 6.0 in any section.
Overall score 90 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.
Pearson Test of English (Academic)
58 with no less than 55 in all communicative skills.
Other accepted tests
Information about other acceptable tests of linguistic ability can be found on our English language requirements page.
Applicants with lower English language test scores may be able to take pre-sessional English at INTO University of Exeter prior to commencing their programme. See our English language requirements page for more information.
You can study this programme full-time over one year or on a part-time basis over two years.
Students on the part-time variant (24-months)
The timetable for the part-time course is scheduled so that the compulsory modules are on consecutive days, where possible (Monday and Tuesday currently). Students who have an accountancy background study three compulsory modules in year one and four in year two, plus three optional modules (two in year one and one in year two). Students without an accountancy background study four compulsory modules in year one and four in year two, plus two optional modules (one in each year).
ACCA accredited modulesSelected modules are accredited by ACCA for the MSc Accounting and Taxation programme. Modules which are related to P-stage papers can prepare suitably qualified students for two of the five ACCA papers; Strategic Business Reporting (previously P2 Corporate Reporting) and P6 Advanced Taxation. For P6 you would need to take the following modules: Principles of International Taxation, Introduction to UK Taxation and Advanced UK Taxation. Students are not exempt from exams and must still sit the P-stage papers.
UK/EU fees per year:
International fees per year:
Global Excellence Scholarships are available for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate taught programmes starting in autumn 2020.
£1 million in scholarships available
We want to ensure that postgraduate study remains accessible to the brightest minds of the future. We therefore have a range of full and part-fee scholarships for postgraduate students looking to study at the Business School in 2020. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
Teaching and research
Our postgraduate taught programmes utilise a range of teaching methods including lectures, seminars and tutorials.
The aim of lectures is to give you information on ideas that are central to the module and to help you in developing your understanding of complex ideas. Many of the teaching materials for lectures are made available to you electronically to accompany the notes you take during the lecture. Lectures are given by a range of staff members, including leading professors, who integrate their latest research findings into the teaching that you receive. Guest lecturers, including members of industry, also contribute to some modules.
Seminars and tutorials
Seminars and tutorials involve an in-depth exploration of the issues covered in lectures as well as giving you the opportunity to discuss various concepts and theories and receive feedback on your written assignments.
University of Exeter Business School research has global impact, with the majority of our research rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.*
*Research Excellence Framework 2014
Accounting at Exeter has a long history of research excellence and we undertake research in a variety of topics, from taxation, corporate governance and capital markets, to broader sustainability and social accounting.
Our research is driven by the understanding that accounting continues to play a fundamental role in organisations and society. As a result, many of our inspiring academics are regularly invited to advise policy-makers at institutions including H.M Revenue and Customs, International Accounting Standards Board, and the Bank of England.
You will be taught by internationally respected academics who are at the forefront of their research. We draw upon disciplines across the social sciences and give emphasis to the dynamic nature of enterprise, global connectivity and the management and leadership of the global challenges that lie ahead.
The Business School is home to the following research centres:
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Centre for Simulation, Analytics and Modelling (CSAM)
- Exeter Centre for Social Networks (ECSN)
- Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL)
- Initiative in the Digital Economy at Exeter (INDEX)
- Land, Environment, Economics and Policy Institute (LEEP)
- Research Methods Centre
- Tax Administration Research Centre (TARC)
- The Exeter Centre for Circular Economy (ECCE)
Combine your studies with ADIT
In an ever more connected world, tax professionals have to stay on top of their game to take advantage of the challenges and opportunities that today’s business offers. By choosing the MSc Accounting and Taxation programme you have the opportunity to combine your studies with ADIT, the international tax qualification with an advanced level designation in cross-border tax. Designed by a board of world-leading experts, it has been created to provide the robust foundation in international tax that today’s professional needs to stand out from the crowd.
The benefits of ADIT include:
- Gain two qualifications – This programme offers ADIT-relevant tuition, and students may use their research project to fulfil the ADIT extended essay option in lieu of the third paper
- Practical exams – ADIT exam questions are designed to simulate real-world scenarios and place students in the role of a tax professional
- Global benchmark – an independent means of demonstrating international tax expertise, administered by a globally recognised tax body
- Professional recognition – ADIT is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT), a charity and a leading professional body concerned solely with tax
You can download the ADIT Brochure, Prospectus and Syllabus below.
Our Masters programmes are designed to prepare you for a successful career, wherever in the world you plan to work. Employers expect advanced communication and technical skills, team-working and independent research, project-management and the very latest specialist knowledge from their postgraduate recruits.
An MSc in Accounting & Taxation will enable you to develop the professional and financial skills and subject expertise that will make you a valuable asset from day one of your career.
Careers in Accountancy & Financial Management
Global demand for accountants and financial managers means you can compete across a variety of services in a huge range of sectors and businesses, from vast multi-nationals to small and medium enterprises, public sector organisations and charities. This degree programme can prepare you for a variety of roles including:
- Professional Accountant: Financial Accounting; Forensic Accounting; Management Accounting; Assurance; Audit
- Financial Analyst with a commercial or public sector orientation
- Portfolio Managers
- Taxation Consultants
- Framework Monitoring Associates
- Investment Bankers
- Strategic Planners
By carefully selecting the research topic for your dissertation and your optional modules such as derivatives, investment analysis, banking or international financial management, you can develop a specialisation to enhance your employability.
Potential global employers include:
- ‘The Big Four’ Accounting and Professional Services firms: Ernst & Young, Deloitte, KPMG and PwC,
- Baker Tilly
- Grant Thornton
- BAE Systems
- Bank of Beijing
- Bank of China (Hong Kong)
- Procter & Gamble
- Coca Cola
- NHS Trusts
- L’Oreal China
Our Careers & Employability team will help you identify your career path and support your route to a fulfilling global career.
Developing your skills and career prospects
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of support to help you develop skills attractive to employers. Visit our postgraduate Business School careers service web page for more information.
Enhance your degree with Study Abroad opportunities
Spend your first year at Exeter and a second year at another world class international institution, resulting in two Masters degrees and the opportunity to expand your knowledge even further. We offer two fantastic Double Degree options with:
- Grenoble Ecole de Management in France
- Fudan University School of Economics in China*
For more information on Double Degrees and other postgraduate study abroad opportunities, visit the Business School’s Study Abroad webpages.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.