|Duration||1 year full time|
Programme Director: Dr Jane Shen
- For students interested in studying advanced financial theory and looking to acquire expertise in investment analysis and fund management
- You will be challenged with an academically rigorous curriculum supported by practical experiences to ensure you gain the skills demanded by global organisations
- You have the opportunity to gain your MSc in 12 months, and also work towards Levels I and II of the CFA examinations
- Enjoy access to our 24/7 finance lab hosting major databases including Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters
- Participate in the Business School Ethics Challenge analysing CFA case studies, and apply to the Global CFA Investment Research Challenge judged by CFA experts
CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are registered trademarks owned by CFA Institute.
Triple accredited Business School
Accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB
Ranked amongst the world’s best in the 2018 Financial Times Masters in Finance Rankings
Financial Times Masters in Finance Rankings 2018
Enhance your degree with Study Abroad opportunities
One of a select group of universities worldwide with CFA® Institute ‘University Affiliation Program’ status
The University of Exeter’s MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management degree presented a programme that was different from many others I saw in the field of finance. You have the opportunity to earn a Masters degree and also prepare and partake in both Level I and II of the CFA® examinations.
MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management
A 2:1 or above with honours in Accounting, Finance, Investment, Economics, Maths, Business or related discipline from a recognised university. Evidence of mathematical/quantitative* ability is essential. The majority of our candidates will be expecting a First or 2:1 degree, however, we do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications such as CFA, ACCA, ICAEW, ICAS and CIMA.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
In order to apply for the MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management candidates must be able to demonstrate strengths in: Finance, Accounting, Economics and Mathematics.
*Mathematics modules may include, for example, Algebra, Calculus, Econometrics, Statistics, Probability or Optimisation.
Pre-Masters programme for international students
The Graduate Diploma in Finance run by the INTO University of Exeter Centre is a pre-Masters programme designed to enhance your subject knowledge, study skills and English ability. Successful completion of the Diploma (subject to achieving the specific grades of entry) gives students from overseas the skills needed for acceptance onto this Masters programme.
This programme is a 12-month full-time programme, studied over three terms, and is University-based throughout this time. The taught components of the programme are delivered in the first two terms, with the third term, and most of the summer, spent researching and writing a dissertation.
During the first two terms, we also offer four weekend sessions delivered by CFA® trainers designed to provide specific help and training for students sitting the CFA® exams. The programme in its entirety, including the three week induction course, runs from September to September.
The intensive induction course will commence at the very beginning of September.
If you choose to work towards Levels I and II of the CFA examinations, we will give you dedicated support including:
- Enrolment in the Level I examination
- Rebate on the fees for Levels I and II*
- CFA® e-books and webinars
- Three-week introduction and training boot camp held at the beginning of September
- Dedicated workshops and events delivered by CFA® Practitioners
*Subject to providing a valid receipt
- During the programme you will study modules (including the dissertation) totalling 180 credits.
- To ensure a high level of coverage of the CFA® syllabus all of the modules on this programme are compulsory.
- Please note that modules are subject to change.
- Descriptions of the individual modules are given in full on the Business School postgraduate module list.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
January 2021 entry
UK/EU fees per year:
International fees per year:
Global Excellence Scholarships are available for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate taught programmes starting in autumn 2020.
£1 million in scholarships available
We want to ensure that postgraduate study remains accessible to the brightest minds of the future. We therefore have a range of full and part-fee scholarships for postgraduate students looking to study at the Business School in 2020. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
Teaching and research
Our postgraduate taught programmes utilise a range of teaching methods including lectures, seminars and tutorials.
The aim of lectures is to give you information on ideas that are central to the module and to help you in developing your understanding of complex ideas. Many of the teaching materials for lectures are made available to you electronically to accompany the notes you take during the lecture. Lectures are given by a range of staff members, including leading professors, who integrate their latest research findings into the teaching that you receive. Guest lecturers, including members of industry, also contribute to some modules.
Seminars and tutorials
Seminars and tutorials involve an in-depth exploration of the issues covered in lectures as well as giving you the opportunity to discuss various concepts and theories and receive feedback on your written assignments.
University of Exeter Business School research has global impact, with the majority of our research rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.*
*Research Excellence Framework 2014
We are a research intensive faculty and cover a wide range of themes which inform our teaching. Our research is driven by the understanding that accounting and finance continues to play a fundamental role in organisations and society. As a result, many of our inspiring academics are regularly invited to advise policy-makers at institutions including H.M Revenue and Customs, International Accounting Standards Board, Financial Reporting Council, the Pensions Regulator, and the Bank of England.
You will be taught by internationally respected academics who are at the forefront of their research. We draw upon disciplines across the social sciences and give emphasis to the dynamic nature of enterprise, global connectivity and the management and leadership of the global challenges that lie ahead.
The Business School is home to the following research centres:
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Centre for Simulation, Analytics and Modelling (CSAM)
- Exeter Centre for Social Networks (ECSN)
- Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL)
- Initiative in the Digital Economy at Exeter (INDEX)
- Land, Environment, Economics and Policy Institute (LEEP)
- Research Methods Centre
- Tax Administration Research Centre (TARC)
- The Exeter Centre for Circular Economy (ECCE)
Our Master’s programmes are designed to prepare you for a successful career, wherever in the world you plan to work. Employers expect advanced communication and technical skills, team-working and independent research, project-management and the very latest specialist knowledge from their postgraduate recruits.
Your employability is a main priority for us, we therefore offer a range of excellent career support and additional activities including:
- A brand new Finance and Banking Career Management Module, designed exclusively for the programme. This module covers mock application proves and an overview of the roles you can look to progress into
- You can extend your programme with the prestigious QTEM Network, taking part in a one-semester exchange, a 1.5-month internship and participation in the QTEM Data Challenge leading to the QTEM certificate demonstrating your high-level analytical ability, work experience and international exposure
- One-to-one appointments are available with our dedicated, highly qualified postgraduate careers consultants including CV workshops and mock interviews
- Employer led workshops from top investment banks and financial service companies, to offer you advice and insights into their recruitment processes
- Access to the Career Mentor Scheme to develop your professional goals by connecting with alumni in your chosen field
- Weekly careers e-bulletins bringing you the latest career news and events
- Financial database training leading to the award of the Bloomberg Market Concept (BMC) Certificate and the Thomson Reuters Product certificate upon completion
- Academic / Research challenges give you the opportunity to participate in various events and challenges including the CFA(R) Investment Research Challenge, the Business School’s Ethics Challenge and the Bloomberg Investment Ideas Challenge.
After graduation, you will join our network of over 120,000 alumni who are making a real difference across the globe in fields including: find management, investment banking, corporate finance, trading and wealth management.
Previous graduates from this programme have secured roles with a range of organisations including PwC, KPMG, Deloitte, BNP Paribas, EY, Société Generale, AXA, JP Morgan, Huawei, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and UBS.
Developing your skills and career prospects
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of support to help you develop skills attractive to employers. Visit our Business School careers service web page for more information.
Enhance your degree with Study Abroad opportunities
After your first year of studies at Exeter, you can progress onto the QTEM Programme. QTEM aims to prepare students with excellent quantitative and analytical skills to support their future careers as decision makers leading the global business environment.
If you are accepted onto the QTEM Programme, you will spend an additional semester studying at one of the prestigious academic partners. This will be followed by a quantitatively focussed internship and participation in the QTEM Data Challenge which includes online data science and leadership courses as well real data analysis.
Students will be selected and nominated to QTEM by the University of Exeter Business School following a competitive internal application process. Places are limited so we recommend you register your interest before applying for your Masters.
*Open to high achieving students enrolled in the following University of Exeter Business School programmes: MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management, MSc Finance and Investment, MSc Economics, MSc Economics and Econometrics, MSc Financial Economics, and MSc Business Analytics.
Spend your first year at Exeter and a second year at another world class international institution, resulting in two Masters degrees and the opportunity to expand your knowledge even further. We offer two fantastic Double Degree options with:
- Grenoble Ecole de Management in France
- Fudan University School of Economics in China**
For more information on QTEM and Double Degrees and other postgraduate study abroad opportunities, visit the Business School’s Study Abroad webpages.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.