- High quality postgraduate legal education at an elite UK top 10 university
- Personal tutor support and close contact with academic staff who are leaders in their fields
- 85% of research classified as world-leading or internationally excellent
- Innovative, rigorous and flexible LLM which allows you to specialise
- Specialisms including International Commercial Law, European Law, Maritime Law and International Human Rights Law
- Students electing to specialise on the LLM Master of Laws will have that specialism named on your degree certificate
- Small seminar and teaching groups enabling you to perform to the best of your potential
- Excellent career prospects
- Opportunities to visit EU institutions, the UN and International Criminal Court
The Law School has a worldwide reputation for excellence in teaching and research, attracting academics, visiting lecturers and students from across the globe. As a postgraduate student at the School you will be part of a diverse and dynamic community.
Our researchers' specialist interests collectively encompass a wide range of legal fields. We have an established research history in Family Law, Legal History and European Law; in addition to these we are also growing strengths in International and Comparative Law, Human Rights, Bioethics, Environmental Law, Criminology, Intellectual Property, Commercial Law, Information Law and Technology Law.
We offer a flexible LLM Masters in Law and an MRes Socio-Legal Research as well as PhD and Masters by research programmes. The University is pleased to be able to offer a variety of funding awards to those wishing to undertake postgraduate study in addition to excellent facilities and a friendly and supportive environment in which to study.
Our postgraduate students gain excellent employment prospects and we are able to benefit from extremely good relations with members of the legal profession regionally, nationally and internationally. We retain strong links with our alumni, many of whom occupy senior positions in the legal field in the UK and overseas.
The University of Law and the University of Exeter
Students planning a career in law who do not require a Tier 4 visa are now able to complete both the academic stage of their training and the Legal Practice Course at the University of Exeter thanks to an innovative collaboration with the University of Law.
I chose the LLM International Human Rights Law at Exeter because I’d heard of the international outlook, the excellent research-led modules and the prestigious team of senior lecturers.
Since starting the programme, my expectations have been proved right; the research quality across a diverse range of topics is very high, with excellent guidance available to help you pursue your individual interests. As well as the supportive professors, Exeter is an ideal environment in which to study due to the fantastic library facilities, a strong student support system, and of course the beautiful campus!
The programme is both academically intense and has great practical elements, including a field trip to the United Nations in Geneva. I hope to join an NGO as a lawyer and an activist when I leave, and the Career Zone has provided me with personal guidance to help me achieve this, including helping me to design my CV and covering letter.
Siddhi Soni, LLM International Human Rights Law (2014/15)