Politics and International Relations
- 5th in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research
- 9th for Politics in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017
- Top 100 worldwide for the subject
- 93% satisfied with teaching quality in the National Student Survey 2016
- Research published in leading international journals and by the major academic and university presses, including Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge
- Editorship of leading journals History of Political Thought, European Journal of Political Research and International Review of Administrative Sciences
- Innovative graduate programmes including Security Strategy, International Relations; Public Administration; and Conflict, Development and Security
- Research funded by EU, ESRC, AHRC, British Academy, Leverhulme, Nuffield and others
The University of Exeter has one of the best all round Politics departments in the UK. We excel in research and teaching across all the main areas of political science including international relations, political theory, public policy and administration, comparative politics, public opinion and political behaviour.
We have grown significantly in recent years and our reputation for high quality research has helped us recruit staff with excellent records, providing us with a breadth and depth of expertise. Research income has grown with major awards from the Economic and Social Research Council, the European Commission and Leverhulme Trust. The department's strong research culture is reflected in our regular seminars and workshops and visits from internationally renowned scholars.
We have a thriving postgraduate community with over 80 Masters students each year and currently more than 60 PhD students.
Our varied taught programmes provide advance study across a range of interests, and we support MPhil/PhD and Masters by Research across a diverse range of topics with good opportunities for funding.
We also offer the Exeter MPA which is designed to help you meet the challenge of shaping and delivering effective public services.
Politics and International Relations Success at the Guild Teaching Awards 2016
Three academic staff in our Politics and International Relations department were recognised for their contribution to their students’ experience.
Our Politics department at the University’s Penryn Campus was also shortlisted in the Best Subject (Penryn) category, and our Politics (Penryn) academic colleague Dr Joanie Willett was shortlisted in the Innovative Teaching category. These nominations really highlight the education strength in Politics and International Relations we have at both our Streatham Campus (Exeter) and our Penryn Campus (Cornwall). Read more.
Degrees in Exeter
- MA Applied Security Strategy
- MA Conflict, Security and Development
- MA European Politics
- MA International Relations
- MPA Masters in Public Administration
- MA Political Thought
- MA Politics and International Relations of the Middle East
- MRes Politics
- MRes Security, Conflict and Human Rights
- MRes Advanced Quantitative Methods (AQM) In Social Sciences
- MSc Policy Analytics
Postgraduate study in Politics and International Relations: The student experience
Our students benefit from a world-class education and compete well in the jobs market.