Politics and International Relations
- 5th in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research
- 9th for Politics in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- Top 100 worldwide for the subject in the QS World University Rankings 2017
- Extensive range of research expertise across all politics disciplines including security, international relations, public policy and political theory
- MSc Policy Analytics provides advanced applied social data science training in issues of data use, data sharing, transparency, and accountability. Scholarships available
The University of Exeter has one of the best all round Politics departments in the UK. We excel in research and teaching across all the main areas of political science including international relations, political theory, public policy and administration, comparative politics, public opinion and political behaviour.
We have grown significantly in recent years and our reputation for high quality research has helped us recruit staff with excellent records, providing us with a breadth and depth of expertise. Research income has grown with major awards from the Economic and Social Research Council, the European Commission and Leverhulme Trust. The department's strong research culture is reflected in our regular seminars and workshops and visits from internationally renowned scholars.
We have a thriving postgraduate community with over 80 Masters students each year and currently more than 60 PhD students.
Our varied taught programmes provide advance study across a range of interests, and we support MPhil/PhD and Masters by Research across a diverse range of topics with good opportunities for funding.
We also offer the Exeter MPA which is designed to help you meet the challenge of shaping and delivering effective public services.
Degrees in Exeter
- MSc Policy Analytics
- MA Applied Security Strategy
- MA Conflict, Security and Development
- MA European Politics
- MA International Relations
- MPA Masters in Public Administration
- MPA Masters in Public Administration with Applied Study
- MA in Middle East Studies
- MA Political Thought
- MA Politics and International Relations of the Middle East
- MRes Politics
- MRes Security, Conflict and Human Rights
- MRes Advanced Quantitative Methods (AQM) In Social Sciences
- MRes Global Political Economy
Postgraduate study in Politics and International Relations: The student experience
Our students benefit from a world-class education and compete well in the jobs market.