- Top 100 in the world in the QS World University Subject Rankings 2017
- Top 10 in The Complete University Guide 2018
- 3rd in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research
- Top 5 in the Russell Group for Graduate Prospects
- Substantial practical and fieldwork experience
- Opportunities for professional placements and study abroad
Archaeology at Exeter
Archaeology at Exeter is an exciting and varied subject combining fascinating academic study with practical, hands-on experience. You can study a diverse range of topics from human evolution, or the emergence of classical civilisations, to the creation of today’s landscapes.
Our approach to archaeology is vibrant and interdisciplinary, as we work closely with researchers in subjects including Ancient History, Anthropology, Biosciences, Geography and History. We will teach you to consider the evidence, assess it, and draw your own conclusions. You will become confident in expressing your ideas on paper and through presentations, while writing a dissertation and producing portfolios of coursework will teach you to work independently. You will be able to make use of our vast reference collections of artefacts, and we often use experiments in our teaching about ancient technologies (eg, flint knapping, pot making, bronze smelting and casting). We also encourage you to participate with the active, student-led Archaeology and Forensics Societies who arrange field trips, social events and excursions.
Our teaching programme covers the key aspects of British and European Archaeology, but our expertise extends across the globe with modules covering North and South American prehistory, North Africa and Asia. By joining our Archaeology Department, you will become part of a community where staff and students engage in projects all over the world. We currently have research links and field projects in the UK and throughout Europe, as well as across the world including Egypt, Kazakhstan, India, Sri Lanka, USA, Brazil, Argentina, Japan and China.
Our department has a relaxed, friendly atmosphere and you will benefit from small group teaching and plenty of contact with staff. We are situated in the heart of the diverse landscape of the West Country, close to some of Britain’s richest archaeological locations at Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Somerset Levels. We have well-established links within the South West, which include local and national museums, field units, country and national parks.
Our staff have broad research interests, covering prehistory and the ancient, Medieval and modern periods in Britain, Europe and worldwide. We have specialists in past environments, landscapes, settlements, burials and artefacts. You will benefit enormously from our research, being taught by high-quality academic staff, who are all internationally recognised in their fields. You will become part of a thriving research culture which feeds directly into your undergraduate teaching, as our staff develop exciting programmes, modules and field work opportunities. Our active research has contributed to the department’s international standing; we rank 3rd in the UK for worldleading or internationally excellent research in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
Degrees in Exeter
- BA Archaeology
- BA Archaeology with Employment Experience / Employment Experience Abroad
- BA Archaeology with Study Abroad
- BA Archaeology and Anthropology
- BA Archaeology and Anthropology with Employment Experience/Employment Experience Abroad
- BA Archaeology and Anthropology with Study Abroad
- BSc Archaeology with Forensic Science
- BSc Archaeology with Forensic Science with Employment Experience/Employment Experience Abroad
- BSc Archaeology with Forensic Science with Study Abroad
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology with Employment Experience/Employment Experience Abroad
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology with Study Abroad
- BA History and Archaeology
- BA History and Archaeology with Employment Experience/Employment Experience Abroad
- BA History and Archaeology with Study Abroad
Why study Archaeology at Exeter?
Hear about our vibrant department from staff and students. View full size.