Classics and Ancient History
- Ranked top 5 in all major UK university league tables for the subject
- 3rd in the UK for Graduate Prospects
- 6th in the UK for research power in Classics
- Study the ancient world in the context of contemporary culture
- Wide chronological, geographical and methodological variety in academic expertise
- Innovative approaches to teaching and the ancient world
- No previous study of Latin or Greek needed for Classical Studies or Ancient History
Classics and Ancient History is the branch of the humanities concerned with the study of the languages, literature, history, art and philosophy of the ancient Mediterranean world, especially Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome. Studying Classics and Ancient History at Exeter gives you the opportunity to explore the historic background that underpins our understanding of the world, its challenges and opportunities.
You’ll interact with the most exciting and innovative approaches to the subject today. As well as developing the traditional skills of classically-based degrees (such as language training and close analysis), you’ll benefit from imaginative teaching, based on the latest cutting-edge research. We combine the study of fascinating ancient civilizations with the intellectual challenges of studying language, literature, archaeology and history, as well as an in-depth exploration of the past and critical analysis of our contemporary world.
You can study one or more of the ancient languages and gain valuable skills in communication, critical understanding and analytical approaches to evidence, culture and society.
A Classics or Ancient History degree is coveted by employers, and students who pass through our department have an excellent record in the employment market: they have ended up in a wide range of fields, from acting to banking, teaching, law, publishing and journalism.
The department of Classics and Ancient History at Exeter is one of the largest and most vibrant in the country. You’ll join an open, friendly and dynamic department with a flourishing student Classics Society that runs a lively social and academic programme.
We often take an interdisciplinary perspective and have close links to related fields including history, archaeology, philosophy, visual arts, geography and linguistics. Classics and Ancient History is home to a number of projects and research centres: The Centre for Hellenistic and Romano-Greek Culture and Society, and The Centre for Connectivity in the Roman World. Our current members of staff have been responsible for some 50 books since 2000.
ECU’s Gender equality charter mark: Bronze award holder
Addressing gender inequalities and imbalance in the arts, humanities and social sciences. Find out more about GEM in Classics and Ancient History.
Degrees in Exeter
- BA Ancient History
- BA Ancient History with Study Abroad
- BA Classical Studies
- BA Classical Studies with Study Abroad
- BA Classics
- BA Classics with Study Abroad
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology with Study Abroad
- BA Art History & Visual Culture and Classical Studies
- BA Art History & Visual Culture and Classical Studies with Study Abroad
- BA Classical Studies and English
- BA Classical Studies and English with Study Abroad
- BA Classical Studies and Modern Languages
- BA Classical Studies and Philosophy
- BA Classical Studies and Philosophy with Study Abroad
- BA Classical Studies and Theology
- BA Classical Studies and Theology with Study Abroad
- BA French and Latin
- BA History and Ancient History
- BA History and Ancient History with Study Abroad