Skip to main content

Non-academic misconduct (disciplinary matters and appeals)

Student discipline

The University is committed to delivering a high quality education service and excellent teaching and learning opportunities. The University is a community, and as members of this community students are expected to adhere to University rules and regulations, to show respect for persons and property, and to behave in way that does not interfere with normal operations of the University. Each student has the right and ability to make decisions about his or her conduct, and the responsibility to accept the consequences of their decision. Where there is reason to believe that rules and regulations have been broken, and/or when the behaviour of a student falls below the expected standards, the Disciplinary Procedures will be instigated. The Disciplinary Procedures define misconduct as either minor or major depending on the seriousness of the alleged misconduct.

In general terms, disciplinary offences are likely to fall into one of the categories below and maybe heard under the minor or major disciplinary processes depending on the severity of the case:

  • Actions which cause actual or potential distress or harm to others irrespective of whether nor not distress or harm was intended.
  • Actions which cause actual or potential damage to property of others.
  • Actions which disrupt the normal operations, and/or safe use of, the University including where applicable, reputational damage to the University.
  • Actions which impede or interfere with the pursuance of work/study of University members, or impact on normal operations of the University.

The General Regulations for Students contains information about what is expected of you, while other more detailed regulations govern specific areas of behaviour such as Dignity and Respect.

The University places great importance on its relationships with the local community in which students live and socialise. The University encourages students to engage and participate in community life, and in doing so develop an ethos of personal and social responsibility. Whilst resident in the local community the University expects students to behave in a way that is respectful and courteous of their neighbours and other members of their community and not to engage in anti-social behaviour that causes distress and harm to others.

The Anti-Social Behaviour Policy can be found here 

The Community Engagement Team – Student Community Guide 2022/23 can be found here.

Student Alcohol and Drugs Policy can be found here 

This principle also applies to students who are resident in University accommodation, where we would expect a similar level of responsibility and reasonable behaviour. Regulations relating to the expectations of residents' behaviour in accommodation, and consequences of failing to meet these expectations, are explained in the Terms and Conditions of Residence of University Halls.

COVID-19 Breaches

If you wish to report a COVID-19 breach please complete and submit this form to


Information and contact details for the Students' Guild Advice Unit:

The students' Guild Advice Unit offers a range of support whether you need someone to listen or are looking for support. Friendly, trained advisors can be contacted in person, by phone or by email to discuss any problems you might be experiencing in your University or personal life. The team can provide confidential support and signpost you to expert advice if needed.

You can find the Students' Guild advice Unit on Level +1 in the Forum, phone: 01392 723520 and email:


Information and contact details for The SU Advice and Welfare:

The SU has a team of fully trained and experienced advisers to help and support you. The Service covers the full range of issues including student funding, benefits advice, financial problems, housing queries, consumer advice, employment, institutional/academic related problems and more.

The Advice Service offers free independent, confidential, and impartial information, advice and support to all students of the University of Exeter Penryn and of Falmouth University Campus.

You can make an appointment with an adviser here.