An innovative leadership and development programme For Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME)* Women November 2021 – May 2022 (Cohort Two)
Deadline for applications: October 21st 2021
The Elevate programme offers a unique opportunity for Professional Services and Academic staff (who identify as female) to meet, share, support and learn together from across the four GW4 universities in the South West (Bristol, Bath, Cardiff and Exeter) and UWE (University of West England).
Elevate is led by serial entrepreneur and recent lecturer at Goldsmiths, Yvonne Field with a team of co-facilitators: Dr Peggy Warren and Jamie Schearer-Udeh. This creative programme acknowledges and celebrates the history, culture and diverse lived experience of participants and will encourage participants to reflect, explore and grow through connecting and building solidarity together.
It will offer an engaging and bespoke combination of interactive online webinars and resources, Action Learning Sets, and cross-institutional Mentoring with a (hoped for) concluding face to face session.
It is both a personal and professional development programme and will be focused on Academic staff (grades D-G) and Professional Service staff (grades C-G).
Elevate will be a safe space where leadership concepts and ideas will be introduced whilst exploring strategies that support the navigation of systemic practices which have tended to historically fix the professional identities of BAME women.
Elevate recognises that prospective participants are ready to embrace and take on leadership responsibilities, but face differentiated lived experiences in employment, education and in wider society from their white counterparts.
Elevate will be transformational and will centre the lived experiences and development needs of BAME women. You will be the key focus!
*We recognize the diversity of individual identities and lived experiences, and we recognize that BAME is an imperfect term that does not fully capture the racial, cultural, and ethnic identities of women that experience structural and systematic inequality. Whenever possible, we will name programme participants as they themselves prefer to be named.
- Provide a 10-day blended learning leadership and professional development programme for Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic female staff over 7 months
- Introduce participants to different leadership styles and approaches which support the development of leadership and influencing skills
- Support participants to identify strengths and talents as well as development needs
- Provide on-going support through action learning and cross-institutional mentoring
- Empower women by using creative methodologies such as story-telling and journaling for reflection and sharing
Intro session Tuesday 23rd November 2021 2.00pm – 3.00pm
Day 1 Tuesday 30th November 2021 All Day (In Bristol)
Day 2 Thursday 16th December 2021 9.30am – 1.00pm
Day 3 Tuesday 18th Jan 2022 9.30am – 1.00pm
Day 4 Thursday 17th Feb 2022 9.30am – 1.00pm
Day 5 Tuesday 15th March 2022 9.30am – 1.00pm
Day 6 Thursday 12th May 2022 All Day (In Bristol)
Introduction to Action Learning
7th of Dec 9:30 am -1.00 pm
Action Learning Sets (Peer Led)
Session 1 Tuesday 11th January 2022 10 am - 12 pm
Session 2 Tuesday 25th January 2022 10 am - 12 pm
Session 3 Tuesday 8th February 2022 10 am - 12 pm
Session 4 Tuesday 22nd February 2022 10 am - 12 pm
Session 5 Tuesday 22nd March 2022 10 am - 12 pm
Session 6 Thursday 5th May 2022 10 am - 12 pm
Intro session Tuesday 23rd November 2021 2pm-3pm
Day1 Tuesday30th November 2021 All day (in Bristol) Day2 Thursday 16th December 2021 9.30am – 1.00pm Day3 Tuesday 18th Jan 2022 9.30am – 1.00pm Day4 Thursday 17th Feb 2022 9.30am –1.00pm
Day5 Tuesday 15th March 2022 9.30am –1.00pm
Day6 Thursday 12th May 2022 All day (in Bristol)
Download the Elevate Application Form 2021-22 here.
- Gain your line manager’s support: their active commitment to the programme (and/or an assigned sponsor) will be fundamental to your leadership and development journey. They will be expected to advocate for you and ensure that your development time is protected.
- Check that you can make all the session dates and provisionally book them in your calendar.
- Download and fill out the Elevate Application Form 2021-22.
- Apply by Friday 21st October and return to email@example.com.
- Successful applicants will be notified by the 5th November and will then have a short briefing session with the lead facilitator to ensure the programme meets the development aspirations and needs of participants.
If you'd like support with any of these elements please free to contact the edi team.
Mentoring relationships will be negotiated from January 2021. Mentoring sessions will take place between programme participants and mentors from March to June 2021.