Accepted for publication?
University open access policies
Open access and research data management policy
The University of Exeter’s new Open Access Policy (April 2022) replaces the open access elements of the Open Access Research and Research Data Management Policy. The research data management part still applies, until such time as a new University Research Data Management Policy is published. The University now supports all open access routes equally (green, gold and diamond) rather than green being the preferred route. The policy does not bring any significant change for researchers as it still follows the current REF 2021 open access policy requirements.
The new Open Access Policy in summary:
- peer-reviewed journal articles (including reviews and conference papers) that are accepted for publication in a journal, conference proceedings (with an ISSN) or publishing platform must be uploaded via Symplectic to ORE upon, or at the very latest within three months of, acceptance for publication
- outputs published open access with a Creative Commons licence should still be uploaded to ORE
- authors of other output types such as monographs or book chapters are encouraged to pursue open access publication, where possible and practical
- researchers must comply with their funder open access policy (if applicable)
- funds are available to publish in open access venues (subject to availability); contact the Open Research team upon submission to apply
- researchers are encouraged to make use of Transformative Agreements that the Library has signed with publishers, which enable open access publishing without publishing fees as it has already been paid for
- where funds are available to pay for open access from the funder of research e.g. European Research Council, Horizon 2020, researchers are encouraged to recoup these costs
Policy for managing central open access funds
The University of Exeter policy for managing central open access funds
- applies from 01 January 2021
- applies to centrally administered open access funds: UKRI, Wellcome Trust, British Heart Foundation and Institutional open access fund
- aligns our strategy with Plan S and Wellcome Trust open access policy 2021
Funds will be prioritised to support:
- OA publishing fees where these are essential to publication e.g. fully open access journals
- Transformative Agreements with publishers
- APCs in hybrid journals only when payment is required for funder compliance
For more details, view the Central open access funds policy and FAQ.
This document is the policy for Open Research Exeter (ORE), the institutional repository of the University of Exeter: ORE policy