Accepted for publication?
REF 2021 policy
REF 2021 policy
REF 2021 open access policy (paragraphs 105-114 and 223-255 in the Guidance on submissions) applies to all journal articles and conference contributions (with an ISSN) accepted for publication after 1 April 2016 and published on or before 31 December 2020. The University of Exeter expects all publications within this scope to comply with REF open access policy and therefore to be available for submission to the REF.
- The output must be deposited in a repository.
- The output must be deposited no later than three months after acceptance.
- The output deposited should be the accepted version.
In order to be eligible for submission to the REF, upload your accepted manuscript, upon (within three months of) acceptance, via Symplectic to the institutional repository Open Research Exeter (ORE).
This policy does not apply to monographs, book chapters or other long-form publications, working papers, creative or practice-based research outputs or data.
Any output that falls within the scope of the policy and is submitted to the next REF but does not meet the open access requirements, without a valid exception, will be given an unclassified score and will not be assessed. It is expected that exceptions will be very limited.
Paid immediate ("gold") open access outputs
Outputs that are made available with paid "gold" open access, immediately upon online publication, are considered to meet the requirements of REF 2021 open access policy. These outputs should still be uploaded via Symplectic to ORE, as required by University open access policy.
Publisher embargoes are respected. Manuscripts must be free to read and download after the following periods:
- 12 months for REF Main Panel A and REF Main Panel B (approximately relates to the College of Engineering, Maths and Physical Sciences, College of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Exeter Medical School).
- 24 months for REF Main Panel C and REF Main Panel D (approximately relates to the College of Humanities, College of Social Sciences and International Studies, Exeter Business School).
Outputs still under embargo can be selected for the next REF provided the date of first publication is still within the REF reporting period.
The REF 2021 open access policy applies to journal articles and conference proceedings (with an ISSN) accepted for publication after 01 April 2016. To be eligible for submission to REF 2021, the accepted manuscript must have been deposited in a repository within three months of acceptance for publication.