Skip to main content

Other leave

The University recognises that compassionate leave arrangements need to be flexible to meet individual circumstances. For example, some staff may need to travel long distances or the period of time they need to be away from work may not be immediately clear. In addition, the University needs to meet its statutory obligation to allow staff to take reasonable (unpaid) time off to deal with sudden emergencies involving a dependant (and to make any necessary longer term arrangements). The University’s approach towards compassionate and emergency leave recognises the importance of this flexibility. The basic provision is a period of up to five days paid leave (depending on location and circumstances) in the event of the death or serious illness of a close relative, which may only be taken following consultation with senior management. The University’s policy on Emergency Leave - Time off for Dependents provides for an extension of compassionate leave by the use of annual leave or unpaid leave or additional paid compassionate leave in certain emergency situations, by agreement with senior management and (to ensure consistency) Human Resources.

Staff called for jury service must inform their Pro-Vice-Chancellor/Director of Services and Human Resources. If jury service lasts for less than half a day the employee must return to work for the remainder of the day, wherever practicable. Employees should keep their line manager regularly informed about how long they are likely to be away from work. During attendance at the court, employees should claim from the court any compensation for loss of earnings and the University will then pay the difference between such entitlements and normal average earnings. Upon return to work the employee must submit the documentation required by Human Resources with evidence of actual payments claimed and received from the court to enable the University to make an adjustment to salary equivalent to the payment received from the Court for loss of earnings only. Pension contributions will not be affected.

Staff who are required to attend summer camps for training as a Reservist of the Armed Forces may claim one paid week of leave. Any additional period should be taken from annual leave or be taken as unpaid leave.

Reasonable leave without pay will normally be allowed for the discharge of public duties in accordance with the statutory provisions.

At the discretion of the University, other staff may be granted unpaid leave in exceptional circumstances.


The University is prepared to grant study leave subject to certain conditions being met to promote research and the publication of the results of research to the fullest extent possible within available resources.


  • Study Leave is leave from normal teaching, research supervision and other duties within the University of staff in the Education and Research job family in order that their time may be devoted exclusively to fulltime research including the preparation of manuscript for publication.
  • Leave of Absence is leave for visits or secondments to other institutions or organisations at home or abroad for any purpose which it considers suitable and on such terms and conditions as are appropriate.


  • Study leave is granted on full pay, although members of staff are encouraged to apply for funding for all or part of the period of leave (with the funding coming to the University so that the individual continues to be paid by the University). Departments may agree to support an application on condition that part funding is secured. The period of study leave will reckon for pension and continuous employment.
  • Leave of absence is usually unpaid, but members of staff will be advised of their right to continue pension contributions for the period of leave. Where they exercise this right, the University will meet the employer contributions in full. The period of leave of absence will reckon for continuous employment but it will not be
    counted automatically as service for incremental purposes or for the accumulation of annual leave.
  • Normally an applicant must have completed a substantial period of service in the University, usually five years for one or two terms, seven years for one year’s leave.
  • The applicant should submit a written request for study leave or leave of absence to their Director of Service specifying the requested start/end date and the purpose
    of the leave (including specified outcomes), following the procedure notified by Human Resources. The Director of Service will discuss the proposal with the Faculty's Deputy Vice Chancellor with a view to agreeing whether the request should or should not be supported.
  • The applicant must give their Director of Service sufficient notice of their wish to apply for study leave to enable the Director to discuss the proposal with senior management and to consider how the work of the applicant will be covered whilst they are on study leave.
  • In the event of an application not receiving support, the applicant will be informed of the decision by Human Resources and advised of the procedure
    for making an appeal. The Deputy Vice Chancellor will consider the initial appeal but if the matter remains unresolved there will be a right of further appeal through
    the appropriate Grievance Procedure.
  • Staff must submit a satisfactory report of their period of leave within one month of the completion of the period of leave. This must detail how the leave has fulfilled the aims specified in the application, what output has been produced or will be produced resulting from work during the study leave, including (forthcoming) publications and what future endeavours may result from the study leave activities. Failure to provide a satisfactory report will result in follow-up action from the Director of Service, which could include the use of the disciplinary procedures.

Leave may be allowed on an exchange basis between a member of staff of the University and of another institution or organisation. Requests for such leave should be submitted as applications for leave of absence. It is normally a condition of leave being granted for this purpose that the exchange shall be financed from the salaries of the two persons concerned by mutual agreement.

For detailed information please visit our Parents and carers web pages.